I am desperate to understand why this is happening to me. I am yet to go to my GP as I wanted some kind of diagnosis to go with. I have sleep problems and I can’t understand why. I have this feeling of inability of being able to breath or wake up is scary. The frequency of which it now happens is a worry. If you can help or refer me to anyone that understands my problem then it will be much appreciated

I have sleeping problems too and fortunately my partner is very aware of the signs and now helps me to wake up. The problem used to happen once every three or so months and now it then became monthly, weekly and finally nightly. I am at a loss as to why it is happening. It is making me scared to sleep, so I used to sleep a lot with the TV on but have stopped this as this I know this can keep a part of my brain active and may not be helping. It now happens many times a night and at anytime start end or middle of the night and while this is happening I have an internal dialogue with myself about what is happening and how to get my partners attention???

Sir, you have first wrecked your circadian rhythm, which can very much influence your habits and your mood. I believe that then you began suffering from narcolepsy, a neurological disorder whose main symptoms are uncontrollable, excessive sleep, regardless of the time of day or whether the person has had enough sleep during the previous night. Possible disorders that may follow narcolepsy are brief episodes of muscle weakness or paralysis caused by laughter and anger (cataplexy) or paralysis for upon awakening from sleep. It may affect several members of the same family and is, unfortunately, a life-long condition. Medications help to reduce the symptoms but do not cure the disease. You should try to change your shift first.