My husband was diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis last year.  He has had all the tests.

Endoscopy, MRI's, ERCP, and gall bladder removed.  They have told him that there is nothing

that is a cure, and that he will continue to have chronic pain.  We went to our Primary Care doctor

to try to get pain medication for when the attacks come.  He sent us back to his Gastrologist, who

tells him he will not prescribe any medication for pain what soever.

He does not abuse what he is given.  He only take it when they are severe.  So, what do we do now.

They tell him he is in for a life of pain, but we don't know where we can go for help.

Does anyone have any helpful ideas?  We have pain management clinics here but they are more for

back injuries, etc, with no other place to go.  They will not treat him.

Help.

Very sorry to hear your doc is a jerk...  We have a theory in nursing that wealthy families send their most obnoxious child to medical school, just to get him/her out of the house and make sure he/she never returns!  

What you need to do is to start gathering documentation that this doc is refusing to treat one of his patients who is experiencing severe pain.  Doctors can say anything they want in their office, but when it comes to putting things in writing, they often change their tune.  

An attorney would send a "registered letter" (you can do this yourself at the post office) to the doctor, with an exact copy to the medical director at the healthcare facility where his doctor works, stating politely but firmly that you believe his refusal to treat severe pain is not in keeping with the "standard of care" of modern medical practice, and that you would like a written explanation detailing the reasons for his/her decision.  

Then politely state that if you do not receive a response within 30 days, you will be forced to report your grievance to the appropriate licencing boards and medical societies.  (30 days is the common legal response time, do not change this)

Be sure to indicate in both letters that a copy has been sent to the other party (doctor and medical director).  You may have to make a few phone calls to find out who his medical director is, but it's important to let his boss know he's going to get the entire facility reported.  

If he responds saying "tough luck / no dice"; you can talk to a lawyer, or request a different doctor using his response as justification for requesting the change.  

Best of Luck to you both!  

P.S. It's the PCP / GP you should work on, not the gastroenterologist. The GP is responsible for ongoing care regarding pain.  The GP should consult with the gastro on how severe the pain may be and treat accordingly.  

The best pain killers are those that take the pain away without causing too many side effects, and addiction is also a big problem with some of the stronger pain killers. 

People with pancreatitis and mild pain are often just told to take tylenol or ibuprofen. Opiate pain relievers may be used for stronger pain. These are things like codeine, aqtic, and hydrocodone. 

Honestly, if the doctor is being a pain and not recognizing the need for pain relief, I'd have a word with my pharmacist and ask for recommendations, or seek a second opinion. Nobody should have to live with constant pain. 

Depending on the state you live in this may not be possible. I have been receiving pain medication for my chronic pancreatitis from my family doctor for over six years. Now due to new DEA laws, he is no longer able to write my prescriptions. I am going through the Hell of Chronic Pain Clinics that only treat back spine pain and are CLUELESS about my pain. It has gotten so bad that many days I feel like just giving up but I know if I keep looking I will find a doctor willing to take over my treatment.

How inconsiderate! I know what that pain is like, and Im going through the same thing. Doctor just ignores my request for pain meds. I literally have to go to ER to get relief. I cant see why they cant help me. I was referrred to a pian specialist by the specialist (surgeon) im seeing, they send most of thier chronic pancreatitis patients there, but it will be a six month wait. In the meantime I thought my pcp could write me a script, but he is just ignoring my request. This disease is known for how painful it is, they shouldnt expect people to suffer it. Wish I knew what to say for help, except Im with you. This sucks.

I was hit by a car while biking and my right leg was 80% severed plus I had more than 50 breaks. You should not ALLOW them to make you feel like a junkie because doctors do not want to give pain meds but he is sympathetic to my plight, I get a few a day(2-3) of Norco. Remember this, Doctors are more like to give pain meds for something they can see. Also,try to get oxycodone rather than Norco bc it has no Tylenol to destroy your liver. I do know a Doctor who will give u 200 of these a month. I do not want to post his name bc he would be overrun by real junkies.

Wow funny you say nobody should live in constant pain. Well my husband has been in pain with severe abdominal pain for years since 2007 to be exact. He has been in and out of ER's and seen many of Dr's, he was first diagnosed with Diverticulosis until his recent VA Dr who just retired tells him he has showing of Pancreatitis, so I believe over all those past years of pain has caused him to be even more sick and more pain now. He has seen 2 gastrologists and toing to see a third in a couple weeks? How many Dr's does one need to see to get help with chronic pain? My husband is a VA Vet on top of it all, they don't help either. Pretty said. The Doctors these days look at you like you are an addic if you ask for something for your pain, its ridiculous.