My very good friend suffers from chronic pancreatitis. He looks awful. I am very worried about him. I was wondering is chronic pancreatitis fatal?

I believe there is no great life expectancy with chronic pancreatitis, although in of itself, is not usually fatal. I did research on the internet into how pancreatitis affects life expectancy and I could not come up with any good information. Sorry, I couldn’t help you more.

From what I have read, there is no altered life expectancy with Pancreatitis. However, your friend should make certain adjustments (if he hasn't already) to alter the quality of his life and prevent complications such as pancreatic cancer and diabetes later on. Do you know if your friend is eating a strictly low-fat diet? He should also avoid alcohol completely. That one point has been emphasized contstantly across the board, so I would emphasize this to your friend.

Amazingly, you CAN live without a pancreas. I was offered that option in exchange for dealing with the insane pain I deal with my version of pancreatitis. You become an instant brittle diabetic, and you have to take about 8 to 10 pancreacarb pills with a meal, but it can be done. It isn't a practical option in reality. Tobacco, especially smoking tobacco will exaserbate the situation and evidence is smoking pot as well can dramatically shorten a life of one with pancreatitis. Diet is almost everything. I eat once a day and although I take care to keep it low in fat, I get by with the occasional Taco Supreme from the Bell. Narcotic analgesics can control the pain of the pancreas autodigesting itself. In about half of patients, the pancreas will autodigest completely, the pain will subside and your friend will be living on insulin and digestive enzyme pills. Everyone with severe chronic pancreatitis worries about pancreatic cancer. The constant agitation can be the cancer's catalyst. I don't know the statistics, but I am sure you can find the probabilities. Pancreatic cancer has about a 3% survival rate. The good news, it doesn't take long to succumb so suffering isn't long. I don't even have to mention alcohol, it is intolerable but for good measure, none is the only amount. For a long time I lived on Instant Breakfast. It did help me gain weight, and it didn't trigger an acute attack. Most probably your friend looks bad from feeling bad. With pancreatitis, you easily can have enough nausea to light a city block. I am considering oral medical pot to treat my nausea. I have three specialists and my primary care Doctor to go through. I have gotten the Ok from my pulminoligist & Neurologist, I see my primary care Doctor next week, and he prescribes the CIIs, and my GI early next month. If all four are in accordance, I will go forward with the Medical pot. Any no vote and all bets are off. I will let you know how it goes, you can tell your friend

I suffered from Chronic pancreatitis for the last 16 years.  I finally had my pancreas, spleen part of my stomach and part of my intestines removed in Feb of this year.  It has been 5 months.  Contact the Medical University of South Carolina, Cleveland Clinic or a very few other facilities that do this surgery.  I still have the pain, but I live in hope that it will at least dissapate...there are other side effects, diabities, the runs, stuff like that, but I do feel that my quality of life is better than it was.  By the way, no matter what anyone says, I know that I would have been dead within a couple of months if I did not have the surgery.  You can feel your body giving up on you.  Support your friend and get him to someone who can help.  Let me know if your fried, or you, wish to talk.  I am available.  The support of someone who has been through it is always a help.

tell your friend to change his diet .. less fatty food .avoid grease food as much as possible. I been DX with cp when I was 35 I'm 46 had two attacks been hospital once .. I did research an found out we done develop pancreas cancer from cp . which easy my stress . yes the pain is unbearable. but when he change his diet eat small potions he can feel a little better .. its been since 07 an I haven't had to be hospital ..

I just found out that I may have it--my pcp is sending me to a gastro. the pain is awful, I don't like food anymore--and I once listed "eating" as a hobby. I feel like my body is giving up on me. thanks for the support. my extreme fear of doctors has caused me to put off a diagnosis and treatment for years.

Mine started about 12 years ago.Began with gallstones and gallbladder removal.Two months later and my first acute pancreatic attack put me in the hospital for three weeks.From then on i was hospitalized every two weeks from four days to a week.No food and no water every time i was admitted.NPO.By the time i figured out what i needed to do to stay out of the V.A. hospital i had been admitted a total of thirty eight times.That's not counting trips to the emergency room so they could just rehydrate me cause i couldn't hold even water down.They wanted to admit me everytime.The secret is for me to stay out of the V.A was when the pain started to get bad i stopped eating anything for several days til the pain subsided.When i got sick the first time i weighed 230 lbs. After just four years and three dozen admitions i weighed in at 97 lbs. I still have it now 12 years later but have stayed out of the hospital for about six years now.I have gotten my weight up to 149 lbs. but it has been a painful journey.Doctors called me an enigma.Said i better get my affairs in order cause nobody has three dozen acute episodes and is still alive.Well Doctors here i am!!!Still kicking.Just depends on how hard you fight it.My pancreas is calcified,shrivelled up and hurts everytime i eat but still produces enough insulin that i am just borderline diabetic.Not much of a life.Pain meds,low fat diet and alone.Gotta play the cards you were dealt.Besides it's my own fault! Alcohol caused it.Been sober since 2003.It is an unforgiving disease.I feel sorry for anyone that gets this nightmare disease cause the pain will chew you up and spit you out.Surgeons told me removal of it is a bloody ugly operation and until it stops producing insulin i will deal with the PAIN.Good luck to anyone that has it.Guess i needed to vent.