I have very painful chronic pancreatitis. Simple things in life like walking, talking and deep breathing increase the pain, and the doctors have not offerred any explanations for this. I have never smoked cigarettes and have no known lung problems (though both parents were heavy smokers at times and ultimately died of lung-related illnesses). Any thoughts?
I am also interested in any information you may have about the benefits of marijuana as a means of controlling my pain (as opposed to the much stronger narcotics I am currently prescribed for pain), but the breathing aspect concerns me (legality concerns, of course). Any thoughts?

I've noticed I have lots of breathing difficulties since I become Chronic.. Just being outside I have to gasp for air.. Like I'm having an asthma attack.. Yet don't have asthma.. During an attack I can't breathe in heavily or I will get tremendous pain.. I guess it's all just characteristics of pancreatitis..

Try checking into food intolerances (not allergies!). I have never smoked cigarettes, marijuana, used drugs or consumed alcohol in any significant way. My pancreatitis becomes inflamed as a result of canola oil or other genetically-modified foods, or foods my body cannot digest (pork) due to my racial type (ie blood-type, ethnicity) intolerances.
Because my body cannot break these substances down, they build up in certain parts of the body - most notably my pancreas. When they hit a certain level, I experience the horrific pain of pancreatitis.

just a thought--you may have a harder time breathing due to anxiety. have you tried meditation? also, pot should help, and you are correct; much safer than narcotics. good luck with all that you try.