I was just curious if anyone here has suffered from Chronic Pancreatitis and has become pregnant.. If so any complications? Warnings? Dangers?
Any information would be greatly appreciated!! :-)

-Courtney

I have been diagnose with chronic pancreatitis about 6 months ago and I have fallen pregnant. I am only 9 weeks pregnant.

So far, no complications.

And you?
Wendy

I was diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis 7 years ago and i am now 5 1/2 months pregnant. and i have had alot of trouble with my pancreas since i have become pregnant. it seems to have gotten worse. so be careful

I earlier responded saying I had no complications as I was only 9 weeks pregnant. I am now 4 months pregnant and my condition has worsened. My pancreas is unhappy most of the time. I am more bloated than normal and with the baby growing I have very little space to big up the gases inside so I have increased back pain and side pain.

I was diagnosed with acute pancreatitis 8 months ago after having a beautiful daughter. I have always wanted more than 1 child but am afraid of the pain I may have to go thru with a pregnancy.
Has anyone found any relief from the pain or is it actually manageable? I am NOT pregnant now but my pancreas still flares up an average of 2 times a week and I have to take narcotics to get through the pain. I know I cannot take those perscriptions if pregnant so what do I do? How bad is it?

:-) i am 6 and 1/2 months pregnant. I was diagnosed with pancreatitis 4 years ago. i haven't had any really bad attacks in about two years. But the last couple of days have been rough. nothing new in the diet. i eat healthy. i feel full and very bloated all the time. it is very uncomfortable and it is getting to be unbearable. It seems the further along i get and the more the baby grows and moves the worse it gets. i have a drs. appointment tommorrow so i will keep you updated.

I just want to reply to others concerns about having Pancreatitis and being/getting pregnant. I was diagnosed with Chronic Pancreatitis 13 years ago at age 15.

I didnt have my first child until I was 20 and the pregnancy was normal/smooth. I then got pregnant the 2nd time and had a miscarriage during my 5th month due to the Pancreatitis (I was very sick). My 3rd pregnancy I was in more pain towards the end of my pregnancy and I had a lot of scares at every Dr. appt, wondering if everything was going to be ok. I delivered a healthy baby.

But I also struggled with conceiving and had to be put on fertility treatments to have my youngest child, due to the Pancreatitis.

Its a fine line, because while you have a diagnosis of Chronic Pancreatitis you are on a whole regimen of medications and then have to weigh your options about becoming pregnant. Its a very sad decision, especially if you really want more children. You have to take care of them as well as yourself.

All I can say is talk to your Dr, be honest and accept their opinion/answer even if its not what you want to hear. They dont have an agenda and I believe they are looking out for your best interests.

I am 7 weeks pregnant...just diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis but been battling it unknown for at least a year. I had a miscarriage at 10 weeks in July. I hope this one sticks! I will put up with the pain and agony just please give me a healthy baby in the end!!!!!

I just wanted to let you know I have chronic pancreatitis and I understand the pain you are going through and I could only take narcotics to help the pain as well until my GI doctor gave me some meds to help they are called pancrease mt and prilosec with taking these its helped my pancrease digest the food easier and the pain is now bareable. I may have a day or two that I have a set back but its not as bad as it was before. I don't know if it will hurt the baby if you get pregnant again so ask the doctors every question possible. I know I am trying not to get pregnant myself right now and to tell you the truth I am scared to. To let you know something else to if you have had it for more then 6 months it turns into chronic and thats if its ongoing. Hope some of this helps you.

Hi there,

I have Chronic Pancreatitis and would desperately like another child. I have mild-moderate pain for which I don't use pain killers but have malabsorption and am on CREON. What was the outcome of your pregnancy? I hope positive!

I was diagnosed with chronic pancreatitis right after the birth of my daughter 7 years ago. The pain has been terrible I was put on the duragesic patch. It has controlled the pain really well. I got pregnant again at the age of 40. I went off the medication. I was very bloated and uncomfortable but 9 days until my 5th month I lost the baby. It has been two weeks and my heart hurts so bad

I have had cronic pancreatisis for 6yrs, I have always wanted a child and it had just never happened. I am on multiple pills to help with digestion, vomiting, and pain. The week before I found out I was pregnant my dr said it was time for a distal pancreatectomy. I am currently 8wks pregnant and have found that I have been able to eat more now then in the last 2yrs combined. I am still on the pills and fentanal patch, the drs feels that it is safer to stay on them then put that stress on my body and the baby to go off of them. And they are all category C meds that have shown no ill-effects on babies. I do have a high risk OBGYN and she is confident that I can do this safely.

To me the pain that could come is nothing compared to what I have gone through already with this disease, and I will have the child I have always wanted in the end.

hi there i was just wondering if any one can answer my question's please. i have been trying for a baby for 4years now
i have been diagnosed with pancrititus dease. can i still get pregnant, thank you zoe x

Yes it is possible! You have to make sure you are ovulating, the drs kept telling me I wasn't but I ended up pregnant the month after a dr wanted me to see an infertility specialist. It is a journey. I feel crappy most of the time but really that has been the case for yrs now!

I am at 21wks right now and baby is doing wonderful! I do have a special OB and have a ton of extra tests and appts but it is all worth it! Most likely the baby will be preterm but we are prepared for it.

okay i see that some people say they had to get fertile or whatever to have a baby but then i seen somebody said it was possible but i just wanted to know is it 100% possible because just feb 15 2012 i was dignosed wit it as well but i really been trying get pregnant so is the process just harder or some ? help cause i really want a baby soon !!!