My son is in the military in London, and is presently in the hospital for pancreatitis. WHat can I send him as far a natural medicines or supplements that may help. I am sure he's not eating right, so what can I suggest?

If he has pancreatitis, I would be very surprised if he was eating food. I was in the hospital for three weeks with moderate to severe pancreatitis, and I was fed through an IV in my arm for two months. I was able to slowly start eating food at about the one month mark: jello and broth were first, then I moved on to puddings, mashed potatoes, etc. If he is being fed through an IV he is getting the best nutrition you could ever have!!

I am currently researching the subject for my wife.

God Bless you and your son. I'll pray for a quick recovery!

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

Well my father had acute pancreatitis last year. He was In the hospital for a total of 3 months. He had to get surgery for it. Later on we were told to give him food with very less oil and no spices at all. And a lot of vegetable soup coz he had become very weak and fragile. In pancreatitis there is a chance of having diabeties as well so avoid anything with sugar. Sugar free Health drinks are also advisable.
Hope all this helps you. Take care and keep your head up.

Raw fruit and vegetables, nuts, lots of filtrated water will improve his health quick.

enotes.com/alternative-medicine-encyclopedia/pancreatitis

mayoclinic.com/health/pancreatitis/DS00371/DSECTION=alternative-medicine

healthandage.com/html/res/com/ConsConditions/Pancreatitiscc.html

umm.edu/altmed/articles/pancreatitis-000122.htm

You can't eat raw fruits and vegetables or nuts when you have pancreaitis ! A bland diet only.

These nutrients can offer much-needed relief from acute and chronic pancreatitis

Nutrients that are able to reduce inflammation have been found to be effective for alleviating both acute and chronic cases of pancreatitis. Evening primrose oil is a well-known anti-inflammatory that has been found to be beneficial. It also acts as a preventative, helping to ward off attacks. The recommended dosage for evening primrose oil is 3,000mg a day.

Aloe vera has a double benefit when it comes to treating the condition it not only helps to reduce inflammation within the pancreas but also rebalances digestive juices in the bowel. The recommended dosage is half a cup of aloe vera juice twice a day.

Another nutrient used in the treatment of pancreatitis is Betain: it nourishes the pancreas and helps put a stop to diarrhoea a common symptom (J Gastroenterol Hepatol 1993, 8(1):60-62). It is available in capsule form and can be taken once or twice a day.

Repeat attacks of pancreatitis can cause a vitamin B12 deficiency, which increases the risk of anaemia (Glasbrenner B et al. Klin Wochenschr 1001. 69(4):168-172). For this reason, it is wise to take vitamin B12 in supplement form as a precaution, particularly for those suffering from chronic pancreatitis. The recommended dosage is 100mcg a day.

Supplementing with enzymes gives your digestive system a helping hand

Chronic pancreatitis causes indigestion and insufficient absorption of nutrients from your bowel. Fortunately natural enzymes like bromelain and papain (pineapple extracts) can help. They are able to digest protein inside your bowel and also have the added bonus of reducing inflammation both inside the pancreas and the bowel. The recommended dosage is 1,000mg taken three times a day.

Another supplement that provides substitute enzymes is Creon. It contains protease (an enzyme that helps facilitate the breakdown of proteins), lipase (which helps digest fats), and amylase (which breaks down certain types of carbohydrates, such as starch).

This preparation was found to be useful in improving digestion, reducing nausea and diarrhoea, and improving the overall well-being of patients with chronic pancreatitis (Orv Hetil 1990, 131(5):241-244). Creon is currently available on prescription only, as the dosage is dependent on the severity of your condition and must be determined by a doctor.

Recognise The Warning Signs That Can Signal Pancreatitis

Common symptoms to watch out for include:

Severe pain and swelling in the upper part of your abdomen
Excessive sweating, nausea or vomiting
Fever, mild jaundice and rapid pulse
Diarrhoea, containing undigested fats (called steatorrhoea). In chronic pancreatitis this may result in malnutrition and weight loss.

It is important to consult your doctor if you experience any of these symptoms. A diagnosis is made based on presenting symptoms and following blood tests. In some cases an abdominal ultrasound may be carried out to check for gallstones and a CAT (computerised axial tomography) scan to detect inflammation or destruction of the pancreas.

Theres not much you can do while hes in the hospital but as soon as he gets out he needs to start eating healthy immediately or it will come back. May sister in law is in the hospital with it right now but she will not listen to me. I do understand it is hard to change the norm. but when it comes to your health you shouldn't have to think about it! Get him to start making green smoothies just throw some fruit and leafy greens (spinach, dandelion greens, kale, ect) into a blender blend and drink. I make one everyday. You can also check it out online maybe great testimonials about them. Get him off dairy and meat asap! As these are extremely hard for the human body to digest and it will make the pancreas go into over load ...which will just send him back in. His diet should include fruit, veggies, leafy greens, nuts, seeds, healthy oils (Olive, hemp, coconut, avocado..ect) seaweeds, algea, superfoods, herbs and supplements. All of these can be easily research if not familiarly. If he is going to eat meat try keeping only to fish and lightly cooked...steamed, baked..put into soups...no frying or BBQing. Hope this helped. 

I just want to say thanks for all the information about natural remedies for pancreatits.  My husband has been suffering since June 26 2009 with this.  The first time he was in a coma for 6 weeks, with a tracyotomy(sp?), lungs were burned by the pancreatic juices, lining of the abdomin...he is also now a diabetic, and is still suffering with the pancreatits.  He has been in the hospital more over the last 2 years than at home.  He's had multiple surgeries, and several pancreatic pseudocyts, which required JP drains, and eventually caused MRSA infection, and he had to have a wound vac several times.  It's pretty scary, this pancreatitis.  With a stroke or a heart attack, you can die instantly...with pancreatitis (like my husbands) you wish you would die sometimes, and he did twice during the first attack, brought on by removal of the gall bladder (dr left stone in pancreatic duct), the gall bladder was so bad it also caused a bout of sepis(sp?)...but miracles happen every day, and I have faith that he will be healed...again...thanks so much for this information, and blessings on everyone!

Tina Davis

Let's not forget the main cause of ACUTE pancreatitis is alcohol, plain and simple. If you or a loved one has a severe and sudden (again, ACUTE) pancreas attack, chances are you/they have a drinking problem and need other kinds of help.  I'm grateful to be a recovering alcoholic, and yes my pancreas still flares just a bit sometimes from many years of abuse, but nothing like the indescribable pain that led me to the hospital four times in one year.  Also, I didn't hear anyone mention water!water!water! is good for everything.  Flush that system!

I pray for all of you and yours. 

20% of acute pancreatic attacks are idiopathic in nature.
I understand your perspective, but understand mine. I do not drink AT ALL and have had six attacks of pancreatitis which come in April and in July.

I agree with Obsitian2. I had acute pancreatitis last year due to a high fat diet with zero alcohol involvement. The nurse in fact asked me if I drank a lot, and was surprised when I said not at all.

I have suffered from this for years as well - and I consume zero alcohol. It is wrong to assume that this is alcohol related, when in fact, it could have nothing at all to do with that.

i am actually suffering from this and the doctors told me that there is no cure for this illness

Chronic Pancreatitis definitely is a downer. Have had it since I was 13. THIRTEEN, everyone always thought it was acid reflux and I was just overreacting. When I turned 17 I ended up in the hospital puking up blood and constantly passing out. That's when they told me I had pancreatitis. Made sense. They suggested gul bladder removal. Was going to get it at 18 then had another attack and told it was chronic. BY THE LOVE OF ALL, I was seeing a different doctor who kept insinuating I was a damn alcoholic. She even pressed me to go to the cancer section and see what pain is like. She accused me of bing drinking saying I don't care for my body if I think alcohol is more important. My parents flipped a switch and called my uncle who worked with her. He set her straight on that issue and I didn't see her again. I was more depressed than angry really. Now I'm 21 and have had several attacks. Been trying to eat healthy. Even lost 54 lbs! Now I'm 213. Lightest I've been seen I was a freshman. But it still kills me to hear from my doctor that there's nothing that can really make it go away.