my father died because of Pancreatitis. I would like to ask if Pancreatitis
is hereditary and what are chances for me to get one?
Thanks!

Hey,
I think Pancreatitis is hereditary, but in that case you should feel some pain already in your early childhood. That’s what I read. The best is to ask doctor and s/he will tell you more details. And of course run some test if you are concerned.
God luck!

It may be that you are more likley to get it than someone who doesn't have it in the family.

My father had it and so do I. We were both heavy drinkers. I had my first attack at 45.

The best thing you can do is not drink.

there are many causes of pancreatitis, and your father having had it may make you more susceptible.

The major cause seems to be drinking alcohol - so avoid it!

Also there are actually 2 types of pancreatitis; Acute and Chronic.

Some of the causes are the same for both types, though there are some that are different. For more information, do a search on pancreatitis on squidoo. There is some great information there.

good luck

Hey. I am taylor, and I am only 14 but I live with pancreatitis daily.. Some of you only have to have a couple of attacks and only stay in a few days, but I live my highschool years basically in Childrens hospital. It hurts very badly, and I can't eat like I use too. My whole family has this, It IS heriditery, because mine goes back generations, & It stinks.. They put a stent in because my duct was crimped in several places, that didn't work and they took it out. Come to find out, since I was little, and having attacks, Large stones have formed inside my pancreas..and they told me the only way I will ever be pain free is to have the new pancreatic removal,along with the spleen and gallbladder..So tomorrow morning thats where I am headed. I just wish everyone the best of luck who has this. I wouldn't even wish it on my worst enemy. Mostly I hate my parents seeing me in pain, I don't like watching my mommy cry..and my younger brother not be able to stay with his family everynight because of me. I wish everyone the best, and luckily , if you don't have it heriditery, things WILL get better. I have it and I have never drinked.. I just got it from my family... But goodluck everyone and I know alot about this.. so ask if any questions,or for the best doctors for the removal.

Did your father take any medications when he got the pancreatitis??

I have suffered from many bouts and had to stop drinking before I died myself! God Bless you and Take Care!