I would like to have a diet which I should follow after recovering from an acute pancreatitis.

Well, the thing is that your doctor should prescribe you a diet after suffering from an acute pancreatitis or at least give you some guidance.

The most important things is to eat foods low in fat and high in proteins and carbohydrate. This is because digestion of fat foods could still be difficult.
Your meals should be organized at regular intervals and having snacks is much better than eating large meals, so you wouldn’t burden your body and digestive system with large meals.

Avoid concentrated sweets, caffeine, cigarettes, spicy and foods thata re causing gasses and bloating as they put too much pressure on the pancreas that hasn’t fully recovered.

I've been in the hospital 4 times in the last 6 years for Acute Pancreatitis. I HATE jello and chicken broth any more and was searching for a better diet. Last January I had a Gastro doctor tell me to limit my fat intake to 20-30grams per day. The ADA standard recommended diet allowance for fat is 65 grams per day...so it's pretty restrictive. I've made it my mission to find all the foods I can eat...binge on if I want and what doesn't work. I still don't have to watch my sugars/carbs (which is great since I LIVE for breads) but I miss buttered toast the most. I've managed to stay out of the hospital since last January. Haven't had a chocolate bar since then but have found subtitutes for most everything. Use applebutter for toast..you can really drench it. ( I choose bread that's 1 gram of fat per slice or less) I use bar-b-que sauce, Fat free sour cream or salsa for baked potatoes, I eat chocolate marshmallows or Miss Meringue cookies (which are primarly fat free) for binges. I have more trouble with sodas, coffee and big salads. Things that are harder to digest give me the most discomfort/pain. I try to limit to 30 grams max...if I go over..it hurts. Only once have I had a slight flare and I ate jello and sipped broth for a couple of days and it healed itself. Good luck. I've found trial and error works that best. (*hint..this sounds kind of gross..but I've found that if the fat in my diet is too high...my pee in the potty looks like I put a teaspoon of vegie oil on the water. Look for the oil slick. That means my body is flushing out the fat I can't process) It works for me.
ps. I never drank much of anything and never drink now. They don't know why I have it, I've found most in the medical profession I've dealt with are just as stumped as the sufferers.

I had an acute pancreatitis attack a year ago, and I still suffer from pain. it isnt always constant but its always on my mind and definitely hurts after eating. I am a sophmore in college and I still drink (eventhough I know I shouldnt) but I was wondering if this is why I am still in pain? let me know what you think. I eat very healthy foods but sometimes I eat bad foods late at night, is this causing pain as well? could this lead to more actue attacks or chronic pancreatitis? let me know! thanks!!

HaleyG, definitly so, you cannot keep drinking. Hence your pain. It is your pancrease saying, I can't do this anymore. Eating healthy is great, but you ruin it all when you drink alcohol, even a little. Also eating late at night is never a good thing, especially with pancreatitis victime like you and I. I have chronic pancreatitis and have had about 9 attacks in three years. Continued drinking will definitly lead you to chronic episodes. trust me you don't want that. Pain meds daily and taking enzyme supplements to help decrease the work load on the pancrease. I was told to eat small meals frequently through out the day. I avoid any fat I can. If you are having constant pain, your pancrease may be on it's way to a bad deal. Things like psedoucysts can form. Scarring on the pancrease tissue, etc.
First things first though stop drinking right now. You may be surprised that your pain diminishes. Alcohol will affect the pancrease for up to two weeks after the last drink FYI. Read my other posts on pancreatitis, you'll find them very informative.

hi there...been hospitalized 9 times in 3 years with chronic pancreatitis. I only get it tho when i get my period. NONE of my doctors did anything about it and brushed it away saying it cant be from that b/c they never heard of it. I have been to Boston, Connecticut and have a TON of docs in RI. No one knew anything and my tests were fine. Well the last time I was in the hospital (Feb08) they finally listened and changed my birth control pills-dosage and frequency-and i have been feeling great. I have seen gynocology specialists recently at Woman and Infants in RI and they are doing some testing. I have been thru a lot and I just cant believe they wouldnt listen. I know that I have a rare case but has anyone here heard of this link by chance? Any advice you could give? Know a new doctor I could try. I am always trying new doctors. Im surprised too that my insurance company has not dropped me with everything that has gone on.

%-) I have just experienced yet another episode of pancreatitis. It was my 11th or 12th in the past 15 years. I can't even keep up any more. Anyhow, this is the first time I've had one since I got a computer, so it's good to know I'm not totally alone in this desperate situation, not that I'm glad you guys have had to go through it as well. I was excited to find this site, and saw that ther were several pages of posts, but I had to take a break and rest for awhile, and when I logged back on there was only one page that I could manage to access now. I'm too tired to continue right now, but hopefully when I get back on I can figure it out, or someone can cue me in. I have alot of questions that, for some reason, my doctors seem unable or unwilling to answer for me, so I really need this right now! Until later, thanks to all.

I have had pancreatitis 3 times in the past 3 weeks caused by an ERCP. I was born with a choledochal cyst. I have been in the hospital for 2 1/2 weeks of the 3. Hopefully I'll be going home soon. I came to this site looking for helpful information about what to eat so that maybe I won't have to go through this again. My doctors only said "diet as tolerated." Thanks to all of you that have posted your experiences. I'll be sure to come back and let you know what I find helpful. I'm not sure but during my last episode I was drinking propel fitness water. Anybody think that could have caused it?

It's great to have found this thread. I just got out of the hospital from an acute pancreatitis attack I had last Friday (which I though would kill me). I'm looking for the proper diet so I could avoid further attacks in the future. The doctor actually told me that my guess would be as best as his since my acute pancreatitis seems to be idiopathic, I'm not a drinker and my ultrasound test showed no gallstones in my bile duct.

I noticed that I feel full quite easily, half a bread, a serving of soup and a slice/serving of fruit makes me feel quite bloated easily, so I'm thinking of eating small servings at regular intervals instead.

I'm happy to have found the high protein high carb low fat diet from here. I'm going to try it until my next check up.

Hello....I have had pancreatitis 2 times in 4 years. Both times revolved around my period. I too had trouble convincing the docs that they were related. Last weekend I started a new Birth Control pill pack (Yasmin). One week later (Saturday) I was having symptoms of Pancreatitis. I am curious to know if you have high tryglycerides and high cholesteral ? I have read several studies that have shown that Yasmin can cause these levels to increase, then causing Pancreatitis.

On July 11th I had the worst pain of my life, went to the hospital and was admitted for severe pancreatitis. After spending 10 long days I was discharged and have been out of the hospital for about 10 days. I have not totally recovered from this bout, still feeling achy and tired on occasion. The really bad pain has not retuned although I continue to have a pain right below my breast bone that comes and goes depending when and what I eat. I have also lost a lot of weight and am starting to get a little nervous about it.

I was born with a condition called Pancreas divisum , that the doctors didn't FIND until I was 45 . I've have had my gallbladder out, and I have suffered from pancreatitis for as long as I can remember. I am very grateful to find a site that addresses this issue as the doctors have a tendency to brush off the varied reasons that pancreatitis occurs, if it doesn't fit into what they have been taught. As we all know a disease is often pish-poshed as being all in our heads ( especially if we're women) until some BRILLIANT doctor DISCOVERS it. Rolls eyes, maybe they should try listening to the patients, now there's a novel thought.

This was my 1st episode and hopefully my last. I'm 40 and I have never had one before. I've always been a social drinker, until the last 4 years.

I used to be a personal training eating small meals 5-6 times a day, high in protein and carbs and low and fat was easy, but bland. Worked out often, didn't drink much and loved it, I looked fit and felt great. As my life has changed, and become more stressful and FULL - work demanding, 2 toddlers, 2 houses etc, so instead of eating well and working out as I did in my late 20's early 30's, I changed my lifestyle and then ouch - Pancretitis. Man that really hurt! I used to drink socially and sometimes didn't drink for months, however, over the last 4 years, I've changed to 1-2 glasses of wine 5 nights week w/dinner, sometimes 7 nights, minimial excercise, food on the fly and a good diet but much higher in fats etc.

However my question to all of you is prior to getting this, my digestive system has always been supper sensitive. I should be a stock holder in GAS-X, TUMS etc, as I've always had to use these often - weather drinking or not. If someone made a meal with Onions, and I ate them my stomach would hurt for DAYS - bloating, gas etc. Has this been others experience as well? They are still doing tests for a blockage, however my lifestyle change seems the reason to me. Hey, life is about Attitude, I'm a cancer survivor too, so my advice to all is YES, it sucks but we are all able to sit here and post. So, enjoy life and move forward, make the changes necessary and mentally prepare for them. I'm not looking forward to it, as I would like the happy medium between where I was and where I am now in terms of drinking, diet, excercise etc. This sucks but at least we are all living!! Now I'm going to go drown my sorrows in a bottle of whiskey and eat 3 BIG Macks - cheers!! Goodluck...lol

I am 25 and I had a baby July 29, 2008 and August 24, 2008 I ended up back in the hospital with what I thought was gallbladder trouble. I had heard of alot of people having that problem after children. I was in the hospital for 12 days and dont remember but maybe 3-4 of those days. I had an IV put into my neck, so that they could keep track of my pressure and hydration around my heart, which scared me badly. I remember my heart rate was crazy.... Now I have 2 pseudocysts one at the head and one at the tail of my pancreas. They were getting bigger and pushing on my intestines and stomach, so I had to have an ERCP done and they put a stint in my pancreas and drained one of the cysts. I got very sick after that with a fever of 102.9 and passed out in the floor at my grandmothers and was back in the hospital. My cyst had filled back up and was infected and my pancreas was very pissed to say the least. This time I was there for 4 days. After I came home my stint came out on its own and I was starting to feel lots better. Thank GOD I went back to the doctor last week and they have shrunk by 1/3. I am very scared that I am going to end up going through the same mess again. I am not a drinker never was big on that either. I definitely want to be here to see my daughter grow up... So thanks to everyone that has put a comment on this site. Hopefully I can learn how to better manage my diet and not have anymore pancreatitis issues...

Did anyone have diarrhea after pancreatitis?