Hi there!

Just thought I'd ask a couple of questions that have been worrying me a lot. Basically, my periods are quite irregular (ie. I used to have them on a certain day, and then again 15 days after, and then only two months after...that sort of thing) and as I'm already 17 and this has been happening ever since I had my first period (about 5 years ago) I went to the gynaecologist (spelling?) and she prescribed me the pill (in order to get regular periods and reduce horrible period pains I always have) and scheduled some sort of exam (I can't exactly remember the name).

Then I had the exam done and it turns out I have a fairly large ovarian cyst, which according to her is the reason why my periods are so irregular and painful, and that I hadn't one in a while because I hadn't been ovulating. She said I need to have it removed so I'm having more exams done in January (couldn't schedule any earlier than that because of doctors having Xmas holidays and such).

However, I'm a bit worried about something else too. Me and my boyfriend had sex (about 3-4 weeks ago, before the gyn appointment), and yes we did use protection (condom; I couldn't start taking the pill yet as it needs to be taken on the first day of my period and I hadn't had mine in a while!), but not during about the first minute or so of sexual intercourse. And also, I was a virgin and I didn't bleed or feel any sort of pain. Is this abnormal?! Also, I haven't had a period ever since yet (although I hadn't had a period since almost 2 months prior to having sex anyway).

So basically, now I'm just worrying whether the lack of a period - could it be (a) just due to the ovarian cyst? or (b) also due to prengnacy? Since the gyn said I hadn't ovulating I don't think I could really be prengnant, but there's always a chance, I guess...

I've also been having some pretty sharp abdominal pains at some points and thrush (I think the actual name is 'vaginal candidiasis'), which could be due to either (a) or (b) (I'm not sure whether it is possible to get pregnant if you have an ovarian cyst either?)

Sorry if all of this sounds confusing, I'm just going through a weird stage and I feel confused.

Thanks for any replies, all help is very much appreciated!

xx

Hey there,

Although I don't have a specific answer to your question, I just wanted to say that my girlfriend is going through almost the exact same thing as you are. We are kind of worrying about if she is pregnant or not because she has not had her period in about 3 months and we have tried a couple of home pregnancy tests, all coming out negative. We don't know if this is a result of her ovarian cysts or if she actually is not pregnant. My main concern is getting her period back, because that is the indication that she isn't pregant. But if anyone has answers, we would be very appreciative as well! Thanks.

I am going through a similar situation only pregnancy for me is totally ruled out. I have been dealing with my vaginal issues for over 8 years and I am just now starting to get answers. First of all I have had a vaginal yeast infection for 8 years. No medicine would cure it. Recently I find out that I am insulin resistant. This is a condition that is created by having ovarian cysts. The hormones and menstruation cycle becomes irregular, and yeast infections occur, with blood sugar irregularities in me. My hair is breaking so badly from my head that i prefer to wear a hat.
Last week i read a pamplet on the internet about a women who had yeast infections and i took some of her advice. I took a glyconutrients supplemnt and a vitamin that contained a high dosage of biotin which is what your hair needs to grow. Within four hours of taking these two supplements my eight year yeast infection left. I went back to the health food store and asked a few questions and I was told there is an herbal remedy for ovarian cysts. I was told the glyconutrients with a product called Estro something. You have to ask around to find out the complete product name in a health food store.
My doctor presquribed me a medicine called Metformin which shrinks ovarian cysts and returns blood sugar to normal levels all at the same time. This medicine almost killed me. I had a bad reaction to it and ended up not being able to eat because my food seemed to stop at my chest and stop me from breathing. In order to breath I would have to throw my food up. I stopped taking the medicine, but it is the only apporved medicince on the market that will cure ovarian cysts. Everyone does not have the side effect i had to the drug. The drug Metformin is $4 for a thirty day supply at most farmacys.
I hope this information helps. I wish it did not take me 8 years to find it. Good luck.

I wouldn't worry, i was diagnosed with an ovarian cyst roughly the size of a melon around 3 weeks ago. I'm having it removed in around 2 weeks.

Anyway, me and my boyfriend are sexually active, and there has been few occasions when we got carried away, but used protection after. I was due on my period 5 days ago, and it only just arrived. Its worried me sick, thinkin of the minute chance of being pregnant, especally the past few days i had really sharp pains and a lot of back ache.

After speaking with my doctor, he told me that just before your period is due your womb swells and this could be pushing on my cyst causing alot of pain. Also ovarian cysts can mess up your menstrual cycle, causing very irregular periods.

Hope this helps
Try not to worry cos that will only delay your period further.

Good Luck!

I have a similar story/questions. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of getting pregnant w/out actual intercourse? the beginning of april i had some genital contact and there was no protection. i got my period a few days later and this month i got it too. i've heard of girls being pregnant who still get their periods, so i am kind of nervous.
also i have a cyst on my right ovary and it's been very painful lately (i've been off my period for over a week now).
the pain has been sharp and throbbing and i've had a funny tingly/warm sensation down my leg and around my ovary. i feel sick to my stomach (not sure if it's the nerves or what) and i've been reading up on rupturing cysts and the symptoms include nausea/vomiting.
what it comes down to is although i've had my period (on time for the past two months) is it possible i'm pregnant and not realize it because i think it might be my cyst that is causing all the problems?
if anyone has any suggestions, they would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance!
god bless

reply to:I have a similar story/questions. I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of getting pregnant w/out actual intercourse? the beginning of april i had some genital contact and there was no protection.

There is a chance you could be pregnant, did the male partner enter of you at any time? and if not did he ejaculate on or around your vulva? the pain from your cyst could be blocking any of the symtoms of you being pregnant. more knowledge on what you mean by "genital contact" will help with knowing if there is a greater chance of you being pregnant.

i had a large ovarian cyst over the summer. i was 15 at the time and sexually active with my long-term boyfriend. i too missed my period for about 3 months and was scared as hell. after taking a pregnancy test, it came up negative. later that day i had the worst pain in the right side of my abdomen and it turned out to be the cyst. i dont believe you're pregnant but your doctor will tell you that soon enough. (:

m scared .. M preventing but the qustion is that can i be pregnant when m on prevention pls help

Hi I had a cyst rupture and I didn't experience and vomiting or nausea just unbareble pain I didn't have my period for a while before the rupture then when it didnt I was bleeding a whole lot it just maybe different for some woman but the bleeding was not like a period it was way heavier