My 17 yr old niece has been told that she has cysts on her ovaries. The doctor has told her that she has 2 choices. 1) Get a hysterectomy; or 2) Hormone therapy. He didn't suggest anything about removing the cysts. Is this the only options she has? Other posts here that I have read indicate that others have had the cysts removed surgically. What is the criteria for when you can or cannot have surgery for removal of the cysts only?

I am 19 yrs old and I was told I had ovarian cysts when I was 13. Two months ago I had severe stomach pain and I was rushed to the ER and the doctor told me one of my 4 cm ovarian cysts had ruptured. Just about every girl/woman usually have cyst, but they are supposed to bust and if they dont it just depends on how big they get before she would have to get a hysterectomy. Some doctors say that birth control can help shrink the cysts and other types of medicine can usually help also. So I would get a second opinion before I worried too much about it because it just depends on how severe she has them. I hope I could be of some help to you and your neice. Wish you the best of luck !

I am 29yrs old and 5 years ago a had a cyst on ma right ovary and it was removed. but lst week a was in pain and went to ma doctors who sent me to hospital a was told i had 2 cysts 1 on ma right ovary that was 3cm and 1 on ma left ovary that was 5cm. they told me they didnt want to remove them if they didnt have to so gave me pain killers and sent me home. am still in a bit of pain but they never said to me about if a went on birth control it would mibi help them shrink. a would rather not have a oparation incase it caused problems for me to have children. any advice for me plz

i am just shy of 20 years old and when i was 16 i was told i had overian cysts. come to find out that after 2 years of thinking i was dying, i went and got an ultra sound to see how things were with the cysts and they were gone. my doctor had told me that cysts on the ovaries come and go all the time in young women and that its nothing to worry about.