Ok to start off my name is Mitchell, I am 24 years old from MI. Over three years ago I met someone who I thought could never exist, for privacy's sake Ill use her nick name as Dani. She is 22 years old about 140lb and 5'9 height and has a healthy diet.

Im not the best writer and this post may be to long so bare with me, I just feel like I have no where else to turn. So if you have had a bad experience with the Depo shot please read.

I guess what I am trying to ask is have any women in relationships experienced emotional side effects from the depo shot?

Such as, loss of love, loss of affection, doubtful of your feelings and the future of your relationship, not being able to control your feelings, not wanting to be touched, low sex drive, anxiety, and severe depression.

Also physical side effects such as. Frequent nausea, vomiting, severe cramping with periods, heavy flow, hot flashes, fatigue, brain fog, IBS, random spotting, insomnia, irritability, ocular migraines, and trouble in the sleep cycle.

BACK STORY When Dani and I first met in 2013 our love was the greatest thing to ever happen to us. I mean I cant be more sincere and impartial about how good we felt towards each other. Our attitude toward each other was so good we could do everything or nothing and still feel great while we hung out. We would talk to each other about everything and how we both thought this was ment to be. Our conversations were deep and meaningful and really helped us both grow. Also our intimate life was amazing, it was like our souls were merging every time. Then one night Dani told me that she didn't believe in true love but now she could see that this was real. My heart was filled with joy as I to thought I would never find love. She really made me into a better person. For the first two years of our relationship we didn't live together, but would spend 2 to 3 days a week hanging out, going on dates, dinner, movies, activities, ect. Life was so good at that point.

Then it happened. Since Dani was 14 she had to be on birth control for severe cramps, headaches, and IBS. So she has been on pretty much every type of contraceptive out there. A little more then a year ago, about 2 years into our relationship, her GYNO suggested the Depo shot. Dani was hesitant at first but I told her I would stand by her and help her as much as I could. She got her first shot and everything seemed to be ok for about the first month. Then she changed drastically, at first it was the mood swings and being tired with constant migraines, random spotting, she couldn't sleep or really do much because her cycle was so out of wack. That went on for some time until her second shot and then her depression went quickly down hill. I felt awful for her because she was in such a bad place and all I wanted to do was help. Her emotion and affection soon started to go away and we stopped being intimate, less kissing, cuddling seemed to make her uncomfortable and she wouldn't call or talk like we used to. I was fine with no sex honestly I didnt want to pressure her but, what got to me was that the love of my life, this bright light of a person was starting to fade. I felt so crushed and helpless....She would tell me that its just her being in a bad place and that she really did appreciate all that I did for her. She would break down crying sometimes telling me how she felt guilty for not being able to contribute to our relationship. Every time that happened I would empathize with her and say that its ok and we can get through this. I cant tell you how many doctors visits, runs to the drug store, and other appointments we went to. I was happy to take her because I just wanted to see her get better.

Just after her 4th shot she was starting to bleed alot, have visual migraines, and was really irritable. Time went on and She started to have less physical problems but the emotional issues were still there eating at her day and night. Finally her one Year was up and she decided not to go back on the DEPO SHOT. We thought things would get better as the drug made its way out of her system and gradually they did but the emotional damage was done. She ended up moving back to her parents because life was getting hard. Her rents house is alot closer to my house and made it easier to see each other and I was happy about that because her parents could help her and they truly accepted me into the family and loved me like a son.

A week ago she broke it to me sobbing with tears in her eyes that she wants to love me more then anything and feel those feelings again but she couldn't change the way she felt. She told me that she doesn't know what happened to cause this and that ive been the best boyfriend she could ask for and I didn't do anything wrong but still she cant feel in love anymore. We talked for hours and tore our hearts out but still she thought in the end that It wouldn't ever be the same. We broke up after that talk. Now I am lost, crushed, and empty because neither of us thought this could happen. Especially because of a unknown reason.

So if you have read this far and have had a similar experience, I am in desperate need of real testimonies to show her that she is not alone in this. I have done research on countless feminine health sites, forums and blogs and have found out that a vast portion of women have similar symptoms at some point in time while on the depo. I understand that everyones body is different and that this might not happen to everyone. But when I do read someones post about this its like im reading about the last year of Dani and I's life.

Please I am in dire need of answers. I don't know how long it takes for the drug to get out her system (Ive heard anywhere from 3 to 10 months), or when she will get her feelings back. Does anyone have experience in this? does it get better? Will love find a way?

If you do reply please do so as if you were talking to her. I want to show her that she isnt alone in this fight and that this can work. Im really scared for her because her mom keeps calling me about how its getting worse. thank you so very much - Mitchell

It will wear off in a few months I'm going thru the same thing

Yo Mitchell did she ever come back? I read your story and im going through the exact same thing. She has about a month left until she's off it but she hates me and we broke up she turned into a total monster but let me know what happened I'm curious

It's my first time I've only had 1 and I feel like I'm going crazy. She is not alone. I felt like I was reading my own story then.

This is like me and my partner (ex) have written this ourselves but with a 2 year old and a 7 month old involved :/ he's stopped loving me and we want to get that back it's so hard I'm at my parents with the 2 babies and he visits but it's so hard when he visits I snap and I don't want to, he wants space and time I'm trying so hard but it's hard Iv noticed it in myself though Iv become low morbid low esteem lack of energy and everything! And taking it all out on him calling docs in morning as want to nip it in the hud before I have my 3rd injection

This is crazy, I feel like I am ready my own story. My name is also Mitchell, and I have been with my girlfriend for 6 months and she has been on depo for 5 years and just got off of it a month ago. We were great together, liked the same things loved each other and had similar goals in life. Then she goes to her military drill for a month and in that month her depo shot wore off. When she came back she was distant, short with me and it seemed like everything I asked or said made her angry. We are still together and trying to work things out, and she is getting the arm implant birth control tomorrow and I hope in a few weeks that will turn her hormones around. Anybody else have the same experience?

My boyfriend told me I've changed since being on the deposit. After reading this I think I'm going to not go back and get on the my third shot. I didn't realize how bad it can change your moods and make you so depressed.

Dani, you are seriously not alone! I have been on the Depo shot for 9 months now and I finally got off it a week ago. I have been through everything that Michell described. I started feeling like I am not myself a while ago but I never realized that it could be the birth control. I feel like I can’t care about anything, I don’t care about my degree, my family, my boyfriend... I have been depressed for months without realizing it, I have had anxiety and I feel nervous about every little thing. If something small happens I have a week of restless nights dreaming about it and stressing about it. I feel like my body vibrates with rage atleast I once a day and every time I step back and ask “what am I actually mad about?” And it will be the stupidest reason but still I can’t shake the anger, irritation and negativity.

It is actual hell and I empathize with you so much. My boyfriend has been a rock through this and he is always there trying to cuddle me or do anything to make me feel better but still I have somehow convinced myself he no longer loves or cares about me. And the saddest thing is 9 months ago no one could convince me that this man wasn’t the one for me. We were so in love and nothing could tear us apart. I hate myself for who I have become because I know in my soul that this person is not me. My boyfriend is somehow still sticking by my side despite the hell I have put him though. And still I can’t find the feelings I felt before. It is bizarre!

There is hundreds of girls who have gone through this same thing and voiced their experiences and stories on the internet already, honestly that’s all that’s keeping me going... knowing that I am not alone in this, that’s its not me it’s the Depo shot.

My advice, give yourself space and loads of self love. Your body and mind has been through hell and you need to recouperate and start helping yourself get back to you. Also, even if you feel like you don’t care, spend time with the people who love you and care about you. They were there through the thick of it and they only want to help you heal.

We will get though this. All of us women going through this horrible situation. We will get through this!

It’s killing my relationship too. I’m mean midday depressed I pick fights about everything with everyone. I’m exhausted and scared my boyfriends going to leave me. We started dating in
April and now I’d rather kill my self then be alive. We were happy but I’m miserable and I can’t help it I’m a mess. I feel like a crazy person. I need this shot to go away!