Hello, guys. My father in law was in a car accident several days ago. He is in a hospital and he was diagnosed a depressed skull fracture. I would like to know something more about this. It would be great if someone could fill me in with little more details. Thanks.

Hello. Depressed skull fractures occur when a direct blow acts on a small surface of a skull. This blow is high-energy. It is usually a blunt object such as baseball bat. Fragments are comminuted from the point of impact and pieces of tissue are spread centrifugally. These fractures usually occur in frontoparietal region. The bone here is thin and this area is convenient for an assailant. These fractures can be opened or closed. I hope your father in law will recover. Bye!

My wife was hit in her head with s baseball bat. In September 2015. She had a depressed fracture and blood on the brain. The doctor took get in sergery and she had a craniotomy was in the hospital got about two weeks and sent home. Ever since she has not been the same. She gets seizures almost 3 to 4 times a week and she is on kepra medication for that. She is very weak and has short term memory loss and has trouble with subtraction. Her head is still numb and itches inside She also at times she has speech problems and stuffers. Her Doctor told her she now has EPALEPSY from the blow to her head. But there was no test taken to show us proff DOES ANYONE Know what she should expect in the fruture and how LONG CAN IT TAKE to get back to NORMAL or will she ever fell NORMAL. Or dies she need a second opinion. Any and all replies please.