Hi, guys. My friend fell and he got some head injury. I think he got some skull fracture, but I am not sure which type. I would like to ask what the most common type of skull fracture is. I hope someone will be able to answer me. Thanks in advance.

Hi, there. The most common type of skull fractures is linear ones. They occur in almost 70% of the cases. The force that acts is usually blunt and low in energy. It acts on wide area of the skull. Diastatic fractures are linear skull fractures that make skull bones to separate in sutures. There are also basilar and comminuted skull fractures. They are less frequent than the linear ones. I hope your friend didn’t get a serious fracture. I hope he will be all right. Bye!

Well,
Skull fractures can be very dangerous if you ask me. I am not sure how many types of fractures are there but I know few of them so I can tell you what I know. For instance you have linear fractures, that are breaks in the bone that transverse the full thickness of the skull from the outer to inner table. Also there is a depressed skull fracture which can happen from blunt force trauma, for instance when someone hits you with a hammer or a rock on your head. Also I think there is a diastatic skull fracture that refers to fracture line transverses one or more sutures of the skull causing a widening of the suture

All the best,
Nelie