I underwent tattoo removal sessions and though I have to admit they got rid of nearly all of my much hated tattoo, they left me with pretty bad scarring, keloid scars. I am darker and the scarring is very obvious. Plus my tattoo was on my lower right arm so it isn't like nobody ever sees that area. I have tried with vitamin E oil and anti-scar creams but they did not help. I am now considering laser surgery for tattoo removal scarring. Does anyone here have experience with that? Do you say good idea or waste of money? What else should I know?

Celebrity

As far as I am aware, pulsed dye lasers work best for keloid scars. There are fractional lasers as well. You need to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who offers different kinds of laser treatments for scarring and is familiar with treating people with darker skin tones, to discuss your options. Laser surgery for scar removal has greatly improved over the last few years and I think you can certainly expect to either greatly reduce or or remove your scar altogether using laser treatment. The trick is in finding the right surgeon. 

Rosie

Interesting question! By asking it, you are calling attention to something very important that people who are currently considering tattoo removal may not be aware of or take seriously: tattoo removal does carry risks, including the risk of scarring that may look just as bad as the tattoo you got removed. I am unable to find anything specifically about scar removal after tattoo removal procedures, but I can only assume that you would be a candidate for normal laser surgery for scars. Your best bet is seeing someone for a consultation and asking for honest answers with regards to what outcome you can expect.

Hmmm... I don't know a lot about this, I have to say, but one thing I did hear in general and wanted to share is that laser treatments are not good at removing scars caused by burns at all. Since tattoo removal lasers are very hot and leave terrible blisters sometimes, I am assuming they fall into that category. Something like dermabrasion of the scarred area where your tattoo used to be may prove to be a more effective option in this case. A plastic surgeon would be able to tell you.

I am sorry that you went through all that bother and pain to have your tattoo removed and now you are left with dreadful scars. I bet you didn't see that one coming, or you would never have done it. But I do understand that if you get nasty tattoos you really want to get rid of them.

But if you are very susceptible to scarring from laser treatment, I don't see how more laser treatment could do you any good, really. With my simple brain I think it will only amount to more scarring. But hey, who am I?

I'm real sorry that this happened to you too... and though this doesn't help you personally and I hope it won't offend you, it just makes me itch to wanna say... most people who have ink they don't like no more are still cool with ink in general, and I wanted to say cover ups are awesome these days... light colours can even cover darker ones, and awesome results that aren't just big bad blobs or black are the norm now. So if anyone's thinking tattoo removal is a piece of cake that will get you to walk away with virgin skin, perhaps this thread can remind them that that simply isn't always true. Think before you ink, yeah, but think before you get laser tattoo removal as well...

Hmm... tattoo removal isn't actually mean to lead to scarring, you do know that don't you? All this makes me want to ask you if you are being treated by a board certified surgeon, by someone who actually knows what they are doing? 

When scarring does happen after tattoo removal, it is either because the intensity of the laser was too high or because the laser was held on the same place for too long. 

Of course you didn't mention the time frame involved, but I did read that corticosteroid injections are of great help with freshly formed scars. If your scar formation is a recent event, you should definitely look into that as well as possibly looking for compensation from the person who "treated" your tattoo.

I had my tattoo deleted from Beauti-Med Laser Skin care centre at Port Coquiltam. They used Spectra VRM III technology to remove the tattoos so that the surrounding healthy tissues won't get damaged. The number of treatments depends on the size, depth, quality and location of the tattoo. Doctor will provide you with certain solution that you can apply to remove the scars.