Everything hurts in my body - muscles, tendons, ligaments - literally everything. I’m exhausted; when my little daughter touches my thighs they hurt like hell. Even the gentle touch causes bruises and pain. All tests show that I am one healthy person, but I do not feel healthy, I simply feel tired. Somebody mentioned fibromyalgia and suggested it might be it. Could you describe fibromyalgia for me - perhaps I will finally learn what is wrong with my body.

Fibromyalgia, also known as fibrositis, chronic muscle pain syndrome, psychogenic rheumatism and tension myalgias, is a chronic condition characterised by the symptoms you mentioned, so it is quite possible that this is the cause of all your difficulties. Fibromyalgia can be treated, but the symptoms never go away for ever. On the other hand, there are no serious threats to your health; you will just have to work on the improvement of the quality of your life, since this disorder can be very annoying. Apart from pain all over the body, it can include problems with your sleep, irritable bowel syndrome, headaches, stiffness of shoulders and other parts of the body, heightened sensitivity, depression, difficulty concentrating, mood changes, anxiety etc. The cause of fibromyalgia is not determined, but it has something to do with neurotransmitters in the brain. Chemical changes in the brain involving serotonin and substance P may be crucial to the development of this disorder. Some experts point out the influence of stress and hormonal changes. Fibromyalgia is treated with analgesics, antidepressants, muscle relaxants and benzodiazepines - all these are used to release pain, improve mental state and sleeping habits. There are also numerous treatment programs including biofeedback or relaxation techniques. Consult your doctor before using any of the drugs listed and ask for more elaborate plan for treating fibromyalgia.

I was told it's muscle weakness and fatigue does play a big part in it. Prior to pregnancy I took a prescription drug at night that helped a lot. I know it's not natural, but definitely helped me. Amitryptilline (it's spelled something like that). Anyhow, I have to use hot packs, hot baths, massage to get rid of all my pain. I was diagnosed years ago and am 29 female and also have arthritis and TMJ on top of it all. :'(