Hello, folks. My sister in law suffers from fibromyalgia. She was complaining on chronic fatigue and pain in her muscles. After diagnosis was set, her doctor recommended anticovulsants in the treatment of this condition. I would like to know if this is a common practice. I would appreciate all your answers. Bye!

Hello. There are various options in fibromyalgia treatment. Anticonvulsants are one of the options. Usually, pregabalin (Lyrica) is recommended. It can reduce pain. It helps people with this condition to function better. Other drugs can be used as well. Mostly, those are analgesics, antidepressants and muscle relaxants. I hope this helps. If you want to know more details, don’t hesitate to ask. Bye!

I just started on gabapentin. You have to start slow and hopefully adjust to the meds. Right now I have a headache that advil doesn't seem to reach. I am hopeful that things will get better with the fibro so I am going to stick it out. It is supposed to help with a lot of symptoms including the knots I get in my muscles, which are very detrimental. I am also on tramadol, a non opiod pain killer. My full regimen also includes citalopram & cyclobenzaprine. Your aunt needs to stay active but she will probably feel stiff. I use Wii Fit Plus and repeat easy steps and gradually increase difficulty.