I’d like to know what the best medications for treating fibromyalgia are. Three different doctors had a really hard time diagnosing it and now they tell me that I should take yoga classes and stress management courses. I do not have time for that, there must be some pill that will help me get rid of this awful pain and tiredness.

You will be very disappointed to learn that fibromyalgia will probably follow you through the rest of your life. There is no effective and 100% sure way to remove it. You should pay attention to your doctors’ advice and start introducing changes into your life. I realise that you are busy and unwilling to waste your time, but that really is the only way to fight fibromyalgia. Slow down, avoid stressful situations, get enough sleep... the important think is to improve the quality of your life. Medicines recommended in this case do the same think - they will not magically remove your pain and tiredness. For easing the pain and removing the stiffness from parts of the body you can use analgesics such as Tylenol, Tramadol and other acetaminophen - based drugs. NSAIDs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) such as Advil or Motrin can be combined with them. Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine) can be useful in muscle pains and spasms. Benzodiazepines are usually avoided, but they can relax muscles and improve your sleep. Other sleeping pills such as Ambien are used, but this type of medications produces effects for a short time and later it can worsen the situation. If your mental state is particularly imbalanced due to fibromyalgia you can get some of the antidepressants (Aventyl, Pamelor, Sinequan, Prozac...). Pay attention to the fact that none of these medications is not made for treating fibromyalgia - never take them on your own, always consult doctor first.

I have fibromyalgia and have been successfully treating it for years. I make sure to excersize at least 30 minutes 5 times a week. I also take a mediction called neurontin. It is generally prescribed for nerve path pain. I seldom have pain now and very little fatigue. I'm able to lead a normal life once again.