I just had a CAT scan yesterday and it revealed I have a 2.5 cm mass arising from the left rectus muscle, it further said it could represent either a desmoid tumor or a sarcoma. What does this mean to me???

Soft tissue sarcomas are malignant (cancerous) tumors that can develop from fat, muscle, nerve, blood vessels or deep skin tissues and they can develop in just any part of the body.
On the other hand, desmoid tumor is considered benign because it doesn’t metastasize to other parts of the body. The exact cause is still unknown, but the researches showed that it may occur in patients who have a history of polyposis coli.
The symptoms of desmoid tumor depend on size and location and they include a painless swelling or lump, soreness caused by compressed nerves or muscles and pain and obstruction of the bowels.
Desmoids are often associated with female gender and patients with it are believed to have a genetic predisposition for getting it, also the trauma and pregnancy can contribute to formation of the tumor.