I know that sarcoma is a cancer that develops in connective tissues. I was thinking it happens in parts of body such as cartilage, bone, fat, muscle, blood vessels, or fibrous tissues. Then I have heard for some special kind of sarcoma called Kaposi sarcoma. I do not know what kind of terrible disease is this, so I wanted to ask you. Can you give me any explanation; I am interested into this topic.

For decades, Kaposi sarcoma was considered a rare disease that mostly affected elderly men of Mediterranean or Jewish heritage. It was also considered as disease of organ transplant patients, or young adult African men. The endemic form of Kaposi sarcoma also has a higher percentage of females affected. In the last 20 years, however, the vast majority of Kaposi sarcoma cases have developed in association with human immunodeficiency virus infection and the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, especially among homosexual men. With the use of new treatments for AIDS, this is turning around, and the number of this disease due to HIV infection has decreased by around 85%. Kaposi sarcoma typically causes tumors to develop in the tissues below the skin surface, or in the mucous membranes. The most commonly this is area of the mouth, nose, or anus. These lesions appear as raised blotches or nodules that may be purple, brown, or red. Sometimes the disease causes painful swelling, especially if it happens in the legs, groin area, or skin around the eyes. Those skin lesions of Kaposi sarcoma may be disfiguring, they usually are not life threatening or disabling, and in most cases, the lesions cause no symptoms.