I know that many people who experience a mild loss of hearing in one ear often make the mistake of ignoring it. I have heard that if the hearing loss is sudden, they may blame it on impacted earwax. I know that sometimes it could be problem with water in the ear, or sometimes even loud rock music. My cousin had gradual loss of hearing, and he attributes it to aging. However, his doctor said it is ear tumor, so I would like to hear more about it.

It is important for everyone to know that any hearing loss needs to be checked. Sometimes, it could the sign of something more serious, such as ear tumors. The loss of hearing in one ear could be a symptom of an acoustic neuroma. This is benign ear tumor, or more specifically, tumor of the hearing nerve. People with large ear tumors are not only at risk for losing their hearing, but can develop facial paralysis as well. This occurs because the hearing and facial nerves run side by side. More women than men develop them, and most acoustic neuromas are diagnosed in middle-aged people. People often overlook the early symptoms, which is the biggest problem with ear tumors. They may notice that they are not able to use the phone as they used on a particular side, or that they cannot hear as they could. Ringing in the ears is another common symptom for ear tumors, because if it is not painful, people tend not to be overly concerned. They will go for months without seeking medical attention, so ear tumors will develop even more during that time.