I am looking for some ideas on what else could possibly be going on with my heart. I have been suffering from heart palpitations (which for me feel like hard pounding/fluttering- to the point where sometimes I catch my breath) and tachycardia.

It began in May of 2010, I had been running on a treadmill and all of a sudden after 25 minutes I began to feel nauseated- which was unusual because I would usually do 40 minutes. I thought perhaps it was just premenstral symptoms (bloating, slightly nauseated from being tired etc) or something else but didn't think much of it and decided to reduce the level of cardio to a fast walk. This continued for a few days before I decided I'll just rest until I was feeling better, but it only got worse. I began having this strange burning pain between my shoulder blades than radiated across to the top of my shoulders. The best I way to describe this feeling would be: think of when you eat something very dry and it goes down your throat extremely slow and burns, that exact feeling just between/on my shoulder blades. This strange pain would happen on and off and nothing would help it (this may or may not have anything to do with my heart issues, my doctor doesn't believe it does but had my gallbladder tested recently- because i persisted this has something to with it). This naausea and tiredness persisted on and off for several months before progressing. Also I should note I was taking Nasonex twice a day (1 spray in each nostril) for really bad seasonal allergies.

In August of 2010, I began feeling extremely tired and when I moved around I had a succession of palpitations. I couldn't twist and reach for a glass of water without it causing a succession of palpitations. It got to the point where I had 48 hours of constant palpitations and after not being able to sleep I decided to go to the emerge. I should note, before this 48 hour period I had cut out everything that caused palps - no caffeine, alcohol, no I don't smoke or take any drugs, etc. The emerge was unsuccessful (Although my heart rate was at 160 bpm, my blood pressure was perfect, and my bpm kept flip-floping from 160 bpm down to 70 bpm -slowy not that it was flucuating that quickly but over a 4 hour period up and down) with figureing it out and decided to send me to a cardiologist.

I decided to stop taking the Nasonex because I felt it contributed to my shakey, tired, yet extremely wakeful symptoms. Not taking the Nasonex really did help but it did not stop my symptoms from returning. But it improved my symptoms quite a bit initally for two weeks after stopping it I was having less frequent palps. Around this time I finally got to see the cardiologist. A 48 hour holter monitor was given, and I worked hard to have some symptoms and palps and record each one. What they did find was sinus tachycardia and I forget what the other is called, but basically, the top chamber of my heart will beat and than in a normal heart the bottom chamber will, but instead, mine would not and the top chamber would beat again- then finally the bottom chamber will (think of it as , top, top, then bottom). Now this was only recorded once, so to the doctor it is within normal range. I also had a stress test done- which was not done properly- he had me sit on a bicycle (most symptoms occur when standing for me) and pedal for 3 minutes then had me laying for 1 minute on my back, he felt it was enough to conclude that it was my puffer (the blue one) - but I knew this wasn't so because I had increased my use of the puffer because I had stopped nasonex (I only use my puffer for allergies which is usually once a year - spring) so how could I have less palps with increased use of my puffer? If it were my puffer I should have increase in palps and symptoms. Anyway, I took his advice- I was desperate- and stopped using my puffer. I suffered through the season using a netty pot and regular allergies meds. It didn't help relieve my palps or tachycardia.

After that I went through months of feeling extremely tired, weak, and any movement caused palpitations and tachicardia. I tried pushing through the tiredness but only would be faced with sleepless nights from over exertion (which could be anything as simple as doing house hold chores). Another facter I found was not eating for long periods of time, lack of sleep, standing or sitting up, too much sleep, stress (I was in college at the time it began), and exercise.Although, by December 2010 I was feeling somewhat normal, I was able to do light to moderate cardio at the gym again for 40 minutes, as long as I did it immediately after waking up, if I waited for later in the day or night I'd have palps.

February 2011, I had another "episode" of extreme fatigue, palps and tachycardia- again to the point of raising a glass of water to my lips caused a succession of palps. My doctor decided to run blood tests and discovered low ferritin and borderline low B12 (she said anything below 20 is deficient and I was 19 - not sure how the numbering works though). So I began taking 900mg of Iron Gluconate (elemental iron of 150mg). It didn't help either- infact it made it worse- more than 100 mg of elemental iron causes me to have more palpitations, (no doctor apparently has ever heard of such a thing- but it does.) But the palps a different in the sense that with is awful palpitation I don't have that sickening tired feeling - so a slight plus. I also began taking B12. I again went through several months of symptoms and tiredness etc.

By June 2011, I was beginning to come out of the "episode" and had everything under the sun tested for in my blood. They discovered I have anti-bodies that are attacking my thyroid, which means several months or years from now I will have hypothyroidism. But, my doctor doesn't believe this has anything to do with my heart issues- but once I have hypothyroidism it definitely could. I also had an eco-cardiogram which came back fine, so it isn't structural. I also at this time discovered heat affected my palps and tachicardia and began having some strange speach issues. It was as though I became dyslexic- not when reading- but with how I spoke. My words were coming out muddled and it started off as just once in a while than increased and I'd laugh it off, until I began saying stuff without realizing it and was urged by loved onces to mention that to my doctor. He suggested an mri and in the mean time to stop taking birth control (it was the last thing to check off the list) because he was worried I may be having signs of a stroke. The issue with my speech lasted about a month before it cleared up and I haven't had any issues since. I have been off of birth control for 4 months, and only in the last 3 days (now October 2011) have began having symptoms and heart palps again. And in September of 2011 I had another holter monitor done this time for 24 hours and was urged to do whatever I could to cause them, anndddd NOTHING! I drank 3 cafe lattes, and ran for 20 minutes straight! With nothing! I felt perfect after the run, which is the strangest thing cuz back in February I tried running for 5 minutes and I had a heart rate of 115 all night long afterwards. From about Aprill 2011 to September 2011 I did go to the gym and would do light to moderate cardio- or just as much as I could handle without pushing too far.

I am desparate for answers. I would like to be fixed of corse, but after a year and a half I am losing hope of being fixed, I would just like some answers. My doctor has suggested beta-blockers but I am not able to go on them because I am having severe urinary issues as well- and most antibiotics for urinary issues cannot be taken while on beta-blockers. Its a game of wait. I should also mention, I've tried increase of magnesium, potassium, iron, co-enzeyme Quo20. And the only thing that helps with them is advil and I suppose aspirin would as well but I have never taken it. Also, I suffer from tension headaches starting in my neck and I notice when I get those types of headaches I will have palps- perhaps that's why advil helps. Any suggestions possible would be very helpful, I will try anything I am so desperate for my life back. Thanks.

Please ask your doctor to look at posterial orthostatic tachycardic syndrome. It fits all your symptoms and all you need is a tilt table test to diagnose it. Good luck and I know how you feel.

Sounds like a classic case of POTS. Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome. It's a type of Dysautonomia, a malfunction if the autonomic nervous system.

Hi. I am shocked to hear your story. I have been suffering from the exact same symptoms. I believe it is due to mercury amalgam fillings that I had placed in 6 cavities in my teeth last year. Since then I have had a whole hoard of unpleasant and sometimes scary symptoms. Write me back if you want to know about my story. Do you have metal fillings? I haven't looked into POTS either though.

I have had severe POTS for about 6 years. You need to see a doctor, preferably an electrophysiologist, who knows POTS Dysautonomia. You can find a list online at DINET.ORG (or net..forgot), there are many Facebook groups for POTS.just look for POTS. Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome, Dysautonomia. Finding a doc who knows what it is will be harder than all the responses u got here. Blair Grubb in Ohio is the top doc, but there are others. IVe been to Mayo and Vanderbilt. I also have a local doc who is very good. Pots can be quite disabling for some, yet no big deal for others. There are many treatments available. Hoe this helps. If it's not pots, it still likely is a problem for an electrophysiologist.

have you heard of atrial fibrillation, all the symptoms you have descibed are very common to this condition, i am surprised your gp or cardiologist have not realised this . even the symptom of water works is common, thats one way i know my heart rate is abnormal ie atrial fibrillation,i know many people who suffer from just about everything you are going through, please don't give up trying to find out if you have it , as it can be fatal if not managed properly.
i have had this for nearly 15 years, it started when i was 40. but i know of younger people who suffer from it. i have tried different cocktails of meds to help control my heart rate, also exercising cardio workouts,ect.. i had a cardioversion which only worked for a year. there is an ATRIAL FIBRILLATION site on facebook, i suggest you seriously look into the info you can gather about your condition. i have also ended up with heart falure and also an aescemic stroke which luckily i managed to recover from..even just google it and see what you come up with . i am sure you will find answers to your many questions..good luck..

I write this since you said something about your thyroid going out of balance. There is something called hyperparathyroidism that effects your heart rate (although i'm not sure to what extent). You can read more about it on

***Post is edited by moderator *** Web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

. It seems to explain pretty much all of your symptoms and a quick screen of the calcium in your blood would give you an answer.

I have been having the kinds of palpitations, tacychardia, etc. mentioned in nearly all the above posts. I have had them for FIFTY years and I'm still here at 69. For the most part mine seem to be brought on when I'm overtired or have too much caffeine. I saw a cardiologist last month and he asked how long I'd had the symptoms... when I said 50 years, he looked at me like I was a nut. lol  When I said the words out loud it kind of struck me funny as well -- fifty years, hummmmm, doesn't seem life threatening. If you've seen a doctor and been assured that the problems are benign, try to take the doctors word for it. The stress you cause yourself can probably make the symptoms worse. I still have issues of being scared if I'm having palpitations over several hours! but you're probably okay (it's the probably that's spooky).  I still get unnerved when the palpitations wake me at night; especially scary. That's why I'm up tonight at 2 a.m. hoping the caffeine or whatever slows down and the palpitations will go away in awhile. I think some of us are just wired a bit differently and are more susceptible to these kinds of issues. When I was a kid, my parents said I was "high strung" which meant just more tightly wound than most people. I'm not sure these issue go away completely but I'm sure you'll be fine, even if you're 69, with kids and grandkids and a full life. Try to deep breathe through the anxiety.

There could be many reasons for this but one of the obvious ones is your thyroid. You mentioned that they'd discovered thyroid antibodies. That's a red flag for Hashimoto disease. Your symptoms are consistent with Hashimotos. Hashimotos is an autoimmune disease where your immune system attacks your thyroid tissue. While it is doing that bits of your thyroid containing thyroid hormones get thrown into the blood resulting in temporarily hyperactive thyroid with symptoms of heart palpitations, anxiety etc, after a few weeks there will be a period when the hormones are used up and there is not enough of them in which case you will experience extreme fatigue, feeling cold, constipated, depressed etc. And of course all that the medical establishment can offer is wait until your immune system completely destroys your thyroid so that you can be put on thyroid hormone meds for the rest of your life.
It is treatable, it is reversable with diet and supplements. But you have to act now, while you still have thyroid tissue.
Even if your heart palpitations are not caused by thyroid (which I believe they are) you have to address and fix your immune system. Find a good FUNCTIONAL medicine practitioner who specialises in thyroid and adrenal issues. Hashimotos can have multiple causes. The most common are: 1) Adrenal insufficiency or total adrenal exhaustion (coming from acute or chronic stress, including over-exercising, inflammation, too much sugar in the diet ect). Symptoms - extreme fatigue, feeling wired and tired, heart palpitations, insomnia, anxiety, depression, brain fog etc. Some people in the advanced cases can't even get out of bed in the morning. It is treatable with diet, supplements, stress reduction and rest. 2) Inflammation in your gut and/or leaky gut. Treatable with diet (eliminate gluten, dairy, eggs, corn, nightshades, sometimes nuts and seeds for 1 month, then reintroduce some of them back and see how you feel. Gluten however, and possibly dairy will have to stay off your diet forever, since they contribute to autoimmune diseases. Sometimes just elimination of these 2 groups alone cures Hashimotos. 3)Mineral and vitamin deficiency, most likely caused by inflammation in the gut. It can lead to thyroid issues, especially when you are deficient in zink, selenium, iodine (careful with this one, don't supplement without supervision), magnesium, iron, vit A etc. 4)Gut infections (yeast or bacterial overgrowth, candida, parasites) Treatable with antibiotics or natural herbal remedies.
I wish you a speady recovery and vibrant health.

go get tested for MTHFR. It can bring on SVT's and includes problems with adequate levels of B12. People with MTHFR cannot process regular B12 and must have Methyl or hydroxo B12.

sounds like a problem with mast cell activation/histamine overload. I hope you've found some relief from your symptoms!