Recently i have had these heart palpitations for hours at a time. They start when I wake up and go on until it seems I am fully awake. It feels like my heart is skipping beats causing me to cough afterwards because I felt like I missed a breath. It's a very uncomfortable feeling. I have never felt dizzy or like I was going to faint however. I've never really been short of breath, I just take an extra breath after each time this happens. I'm always fine during the middle of the day and then again towards the early evening and night I go into these episodes again. In september I was diagnosed with mild gastritis and have been on liquid carafate 2-3 times daily. I've been on and off sick though for a couple months. I used to be a very healthy person, sick maybe twice a year. I'm athletic and only 20. I do have a lot of stress in my life, but this worries me. They have been going on for a few weeks now. They did this at first and I thought it was pseudophedrine, i was taking a lot because the doctors couldn't get a cold away. So I stopped that and they stopped for a couple of weeks. I was happy and then they just started again about 2 days ago. I can usually even feel them coming on. It's just making me feel very uneasy. I won't go to sleep until they stop, and they worry me when I am working. But yet again, I haven't felt dizzy so they don't prevent me from doing things. Just cause worry. Please answer me if someone has any idea. I plan on calling my doctor on Monday, but I want an idea of what it could be.

Thanks!

I know this is late, I hope it can help you though. I had the same problem 2 years ago, even with repeated trips to the ER and a consult with a cardiologist, no one could figure out what was wrong with me. I finally mentioned it to by gynecologist when I went in for my yearly visit. I had had a hysterectomy, but this happened prior to that also. He checked my hormones and they were way off. Prescribed Premarin and I've been fine ever since. This isn't necessarily a menopause or post hysterectomy problem. I had it before my daughter was born 25 years ago and was given birth control pills, but I had totally forgotten about that. It might be worth checking out.

I used to suffer very badly from a racing heart, an event which amost always started when I was asleep and would wake me up. After many trips to the ER, I would be given a drug called adenosine which in effect, stops the hearts abnormal beats and kicks it back to a regular rhythm, although the process is a bit scary because you almost lose conciousness and feel like you are dying for a couple of seconds. However, once the drug leaves your system (after about 20-30seconds) you feel as right as rain and are ready to go home. Further investigation by my cardiologist revealled that I have a disorder of the adrenal glands called primary Aldosteronism or Conns Syndrome. It was once thought to be a very rare disease, but more and more medicos are now of the opinion it is a lot more common than first though. It is caused by a disorder of one or both of the adrenal glands that sit on top of the kidneys and causes abnormal amounts of adrenalin or cortisol to be pumped into the system and causes the heart to race, anything up to 200 - 250 beats per minute. Hope this helps fellow sufferers.

I had this in college. I can remember sitting in class thinking, what the heck is going on. Once college ended, it went away. I do get something milder when I eat certain foods, typically really fatty stuff with MSG. Obviously I stay away from that stuff.

I actually did a google search for this tonight, because I was in the middle of a good workout when I felt a couple. I hopped off the machine a few minutes ago, got online, and here I am. I think this time it's due to some cold medicine and this cold I'm fighting - I shouldn't be exercising at 85% MHR in my condition now anyway.

I've occasionally had this same thing, and have had two longer episodes (week or two of palpitations) in the past (about four years apart). I'm a runner and triathlete with no known heart problems.

I got it checked with EKC, echo, holter monitor, but the skipped beats didn't show up in any test results. I was diagnosed with premature ventricular contractions and a possible leaky valve but nothing else. When I saw a sports doc, he did tell me that this was a common thing he saw among athletes and that it typically didn't mean anything harmful. Was told by another doc that having such a low resting heart rate (avg 50 bpm) could also cause some arrhythmia.

Hope you've found an answer to what's causing things. In my reading up on this, it often seems to be simply an annoying but harmless condition.

Hey all - i have this problem (heart palpitations) and have had it off and on for years. Finally read an article on magnesium. Our bodies lose magnesium every day when we urinate and especially when we drink alcohol. One woman found that taking mag supplements helped her heart palpitations go away. I have been taking an extra 500-1000 mg of Mag every day with my normal daily vitamins (it is safe- the worst that can happen if you take too much is you will get diarrhea) and i have not had the problem since. I have had it so bad i had to drop down and lay on the ground until it would stop!
I hope this helps some of you. Also diets rich in dark green veggies will help with this problem! Not sure why the doctors are not onto this, other than the fact that they want to keep us taking prescrip drugs.

GOod luck!

claybabe wrote:

There are two kinds of palpitations. One is if you have a physical defect like a prolapsed mitral valve or defective purkinje fibbers. The second is if you are suffering from chronic acidosis and now have so much internal inflammation that you get breakthrough palps one or more times per day. If you are in the latter group, then the good news is this can be fixed. ***this post is edited by
moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***

Nick :)

I had this problem for many years before Conn Syndrome was diagnosed. My left adrenal gland was removed and it stopped the attacks. However, I still do have another strange problem; I will dream I am running or walking up some stairs and it causes me to wake up short of breath from runnin in my dream. Can't figure out what it is.

My doctor did an echocardiogram, not the same as EKG, and found that I have an enlargement of what's called the Purkinje Bundle. This bundle of electrical tissue is responsible for creating and sending out an electrical pulse through the walls of your heart. If its enlarged like mine, it can cause you to have palpitations, sometimes too many for anybody's liking. The only way to correct it is with surgery. Hope this helps out.

I too have been having heart palps only at nite for the past week or two. I can not sleep when my resting heart rate is 50 and wake up with it 120 bpm. I went to the ED twice. EKG showed PACs (premature Atrial Contractions) with tachycardia. ECHO was normal. 100% o2 sats on room air. My serum mag level was 1.9 (low end of normal). I began taking a mag supplement 800 mg per day and I'm hoping this does the trick. I;ve been able to sleep thru the nite, whereas before I was up for hours with high heart rate. I am 47, so I'm thinking it maybe due to hormones or low mag level.

Hi I have been reading about adrenal gland disfunction and believe that this is what I am experiencing. Have you found a solution other than going to the ER to get the adenosine.

Hi, becuase you had the left adrenal gland removed, are you having to take ongoing medication going forward.

hello there

i have had heart palpitation since 20 years it turns me crazy recently i start having medicine to reduce the stomac acid ...this works good and reduce it 90% .... doctors told me everything is correct in heart structure but the irregularities appears during stress test.

i am doubting as well that these palpitations have link with sexual hormons ... any one could advise ?? if this could be ??

thank you

Like Matt I too have the same problem with the electrical wire that triggers your heart too pump. Which causes SVT (google it). Thewe is however anotheso solution to surgery. My cardio put me on a medication called Verapamil Hydrochloride 160mg which is apparently also used for blood pressure Which is totally unrelated to my "attacks". There are a number of exercises that you can do to stop an attack which you can also google by looking for, methods to stop Svt. 

I have also been in the situation where my heart rate went up to 270bpm and had to be given "heart stop" drug that basically hits the hard reset button and I AGREE... NOT FUN.

i am recently reading all about palpitations, i just found out im pregnant, i suffered from these palpitations before i got pregnant, they had gone away, and just recently came back, my ekg is normal, but now that i see this im going to have to talk to my OBGYN when i go!! thanx a bunch!!!