I have a friend on work who is acting strange every time I ask him about his brother. We are friends for some time and we are very close, at least I think so. But few months ago I have find out that he has a brother. When I have told him that I know about his brother he told me that he has some psychotic illness and that he tends to be violent. I see that it is very hard for him. I want to help him. What kind of psychotic illness can it be? Tell me something more.

Reading this I can only suppose but if he is in some institution because he tends to be violent it can be schizophrenia. It is a heterogeneous syndrome characterized by perturbations of language, perception, thinking, social activity, affect, and volition. The syndrome commonly begins in late adolescence, has an insidious onset, and, classically, a poor outcome, progressing from social withdrawal and perceptual distortions to a state of chronic delusions and hallucinations.