My husband has had sleep apnea as long as we've been married (23 years). He finally had a sleep study done and they told him it didn't get much worse and they were glad he came in. He started on the CPAP machine immediately and immediately felt more rested. However, the very next day after his first use, his pants wouldn't zip and his shirts wouldn't button. He saw his doctor who confirmed he was retaining fluids. (He usually gets up 3-5 times a night to urinate and on the CPAP machine doesn't awake even once!) He also began having a numbness in his left thigh, then followed by pain and burning. I was immediately scared he might have a blood clot--but his doctor said he thought it might be lateral femoral cutaneous palsy. My husband's doctor put him on lasix for the fluid retention but he is still swelling and he has to urinate so frequently during work he can't attend meetings or go on business trips. So he sometimes doesn't take the lasix and swells or doesn't use the CPAP and has poor sleep. His CPAP number is 18.9 which I know is very high and I am VERY concerned that he isn't using his machine. Nobody seems to be familiar with these side effects and the doctors we're talking about here are supposed to be specialists--one a sleep study specialist and the other an internist. HELP!

Did you find out any cure for this? I am extremely swollen, SOB, MISERABLE..so last night I cut the CPAP. I have been on HCTZ. Lasix, nothing works. What happened with your husband?

The CPAP can cause hyperventilation and low CO2, which in turn can cause hypothyroidism, which in turn can cause fluid retention, congestive heart failure and bad circulation. Because the thyroid is only affected during sleep, all test readings are likely to be normal. A CPAP can be problematic for exhaling, in which case a biPAP should help.