Hi there! My husband has problems with obstructive sleep apnea and snoring ( this is a bit my problem as well ). I heard something of CPAP, which is a procedure used instead of a surgery. Could anybody give me some answers about this cpap. What exactly is it? Who should consider it?

Hello! Cpap (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) is a nonsurgical treatment. Through a specially designed nasal mask or pillows nasal CPAP delivers air into your airway. the flow of air creates enough pressure when you inhale to keep your airway open. The patient who is under this treatment is required to wear the nasal mask every night and change some life habits. Those people with significant sleep apnea should consider going under the treatment. Suitability for CPAP use is determined after a review of your medical history, lifestyle factors, cardiovascular condition, and current medications. You will also receive a physical and otorhinolaryngological examination to evaluate your airway.

I have a CPAP and use it when possible. For some reason, I awake in the middle of the night or the morning with my mask off. I have not had a good nights sleep, since the first day of using it. After the first day, it has not been well for myself or wife. I have had numerous sinus infections, upper respiratory infections and even Endoscopic Sinus Surgery. I still cannot sleep an entire night with my CPAP and know I have this crunching sound whenever I sequent or rub my eyes. Lastly, I continually smell cigarette smoke , when there is none, What's that?

How can I get a good nights sleep ?

Thank you
Sleep Monster