I have a friend who looks strange to me lately. I saw he catch some rash, and I was wondering what it could be. When I asked him about rash, he said that he gets it because of CPAP. I have never heard for this, so I need an explanation. Can you tell me what is that, and could that be cause of rash he catch?

CPAP means continuous positive airway pressure, and that is traditional therapy for obstructive sleep apnea. Therapy includes nightly use of CPAP during sleep. It looks like patients wear a facemask connected to a pump that forces air into the nasal passages. It has been done at pressures high enough to overcome obstructions in the airway and stimulate normal breathing. Most CPAP patients often suffer from at least one side effect related to forced air delivery. About half of CPAP patients discontinue treatment because of these side effects. Side effects may include sensation of suffocation/ claustrophobia, difficulty exhaling, inability to sleep, nasal congestion, and sore eyes. Sometimes it is reported case of sore or dry throat, headaches, abdominal bloating, chest muscle discomfort, and nosebleed. What your friend experienced is mask-related problem. These symptoms are rash, skin abrasions, and conjunctivitis from air leakage. When first using a CPAP machine, patients must be monitored in a sleep laboratory to determine appropriate amount of air pressure.