Hello! My husband has severe obstructive sleep apnea. His problems started many years ago and they were getting worse and worse as the time passed. He used to snore very loud but last year he started to make long pauses in breathing while asleep. His doctor said CPAP mask would be the solution for his problems. We knew that he would need some time to adapt to the mask, but his problems continued even with CPAP mask on. He says he sleeps worse with the mask on than without it. What should we do?

Hello! You have to give him some time. He has to try to tolerate the early discomfort and the wheezing sound of the CPAP mask. I hope that a specialist showed your husband how to use and clean the mask. Also, I hope he adjusted it right since sometimes problems occur because the mask isn’t adjusted right. See you specialist and adjust it again if needed. Maybe you can engage a trained nurse for few days to ensure a close follow-up. If you husband keeps to suffer you have to visit his doctor again and talk about other possibilities such as surgery.