I am recovering from a lateral sphincterotomy. I would like to know whether I should be eating a low or high fiber diet for the next few weeks before I see my surgeon for the follow-up visit. Any help would be appreciated.

HI,
Fiber is essential for our health. As it it is considered for lowering the rick of diabetes and heart disease. Fiber is commonly classified into two categories: insoluble fiber, soluble fiber.I have suggested some benefits of high fiber diet.1. Normalize bowel movements. 2. Helps maintain bowel integrity 3. Lower blood cholesterol levels. 4. helps to control blood sugar level. 5. Helps in weight loss. 6. Uncertain effect on colorectal cancer.

***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Is oatmeal any good?

I agree with JackAnderson that high fiber diet has many benefits, and yes, oatmeal are one of food that contain fiber, however, immediately post spinherectomy procedure, high fiber diet would not be the best choice. At this point, before the post-op checkup, you need to give the wound some time to heal and what high fiber does is helping to regulate bowel movements. But, on the other hand, it also can lead to problems if you had procedure such as sphinherectomy because high fiber diet might increase the number of bowel movements you have, that way increasing the irritation of the scar that is still healing.

In some time you will need fiber in your diet, but before the checkup, I would suggest that you keep high fiber content food to minimum, until you see what exact effect they have.