My son wishes to start training running. I encouraged him in doing that, because I think that sport is a very important thing for a 17 year old teenager. We found appropriate athletic club. They determined that he is very talented, and that he could easily become a marathon runner. You can imagine how excited he was when they told him that. But I am a bit concerned. His eating habits are not that healthy, if at all. I know that distance runners dieting is almost as important as training itself. Am I right?

If your son is that talented and wants to train running he must rearrange his daily meals. Let's say it like this. Marathon runners, for example, during a race need 10 to 20 times more energy than regular people. So, energy reserves have to be full before the race, and that is achieved only by healthy food. Carbohydrates are the main food and should occupy at least 50% percent of daily taken food, fat 30% and proteins 20%. Distance runners dieting is really essential for making good results.