I was having a discussion the other day with my brothers. They claim that all swimmers should train the same way. It doesn’t matter if they are sprinters or long distance swimmers. It is all just a matter of distance, nothing more than that. I think that the training for the sprinter should be different from that of the long distance swimmer. What do you think?

To be honest, it is true that they are all training the same way. That is, they all are swimming! But that is it. Everything else is different. Otherwise you would be able to say that marathon runners should train the same way sprinters do. Everyone would laugh at you if you say something like that. Sprinters concentrate on speed and use their fast twitch muscle fiber during swimming. Long distance swimmers rely mostly on slow twitch fiber and endurance to finish the race. There is an essential difference between them both physically and mentally. So you are absolutely right about it.

I think swimming will help you in running and not surprisingly, running should help you with swimming. So I can understand how the workouts for both running and swimming could overlap.