Hi folks!

I have very dry skin pretty much all over my body at the moment... no idea what's wrong with me! I've never experienced this before! My normal body lotion isn't working AT ALL any more and may even be making things worse? So I've done some Googling and right now it seems like either shea butter or coconut oil would make for the best options for me. The question is, which of these 2 should I go for??? I'm hoping people here could share their experiences with either or both and tell me honestly which of the 2 are really most hydrating and best for dry skin on the body... not contemplating on using these on my face right now. 

Thanks!

I'd go for the shea butter any time... tried coconut oil and actually found it quite drying and then found out that I'm not the only one what found this to be a possible effect. Just saying, something to consider. I am using a butter that contains shea from the Body Shop for my legs and arms and it's working alright. It smooths my skin out and feels nice and rich without being too much, unlike the coconut oil. It is also meant to be anti-inflammatory which is nice if you are shaving your legs as I suspect most of us do, especially now spring's here. 

Celebrity

No! Don't choose! (LOL.)

Shea butter and coconut oil are, in fact, the perfect combination! Use two parts shea butter to one part coconut oil and add any drops of essential oil you feel like, and you will be fine. I suffer from extremely dry skin and I have found this to work very, very well as a body lotion. It is so easy as well. It will give you the protection from the elements and hydration your skin craves, and will make you smell and feel good. You won't regret it. Trust me on this one. 

Rosie

Wait, what? I do not have to choose and can use coconut oil and shea butter at the same time, mixed together? That had never actually occurred to me and I hadn't read the suggestion elsewhere either. Thank you for the idea. That way, if I don't like it, I can still always try them one by one too. I think I like the way you are thinking! This WILL work for my dry skin, right? I won't be wasting my money by buying tubs or jars or both? Some last minute reassurance please!

Shea butter can be a very pleasant option, not only for the body but also for your face. Shea butter isn't just for people who suffer from severely dry skin either; it can help fight irritation and swelling and simply maintain a healthy skin as well. I have heard mixed reviews of coconut oil and coconut butter, myself, so if I had to pick one of the two, I know what I would end up doing. However, if you can get both, there is obviously no harm in trying them out. 

Definitely coconut oil because it is so very versatile! Here's what I have used it for, with success!

* As a replacement hand cream, works better than most off the shelf hand creams as well, making my hands silky soft.
* Instead of using a shaving cream, for your legs. It prevents after shave irritation and makes your skin nice and hydrated.
* Moisturizes your body but also helps speed up the healing of little cuts like those caused by shaving and acne scars.
* If you've heard of the oil cleansing method, you'll know you can use it for your face to clean it as well as to remove ,makeup.

It's really good, coconut oil is! Not just for dry skin either!!!

If you go with shea butter, please do make sure you go for the raw one.

Unrefined and raw shea butter has all sorts of vitamins (A and E among others, both excellent for skin) as well as minerals and healing abilities for scars and sun damage. When you start refining the product, however, all those best properties are essentially lost, meaning you may as well use any generic skin cream you come across. You want to preserve it in as natural a state as possible if you want all the hydration, anti-aging and anti-inflammatory properties shea butter has to offer.

Does that help? I hope you resolve your skin issues soon.

I am sure these products both have potential. Coconut oil can be used in cooking as well as for your skin, so if you don't like the way it works for your skin you may still have a use for it. Considering that, as well as that it is readily available in most stores, I would probably try that out first. I would want something that is suitable for the face as well as the body though and I am not sure whether shea butter or coconut oil functions better on that account.... perhaps someone else knows the answer to this?

Ah. It all depends on what your skin is like. I think shea butter might give more nutrition to your skin but I am not 100 percent sure you know. Shea butter does feel nicer than coconut oil to the skin. You can use both on your face. I was into making these home-made creams for a while and I must admit that I used the shea butter to put on my lips by way of a lip balm, mostly. It felt really nice. Coconut on the other hand is not so bad but the effects seem to disappear. The skin stops feel moist after a while and you have to reapply it. My personal choice is shea butter. I know it is more expensive but like I said it works better for me, and lasts longer.

Good luck!

I am wondering if you have bought either shea butter or coconut oil yet and if you have, how you are getting on with them?

If these are not working out for you as well as you had hoped, here are some other tips for you:

• Nivea Creme, the one in the small blue jar. Very cheap, very effective. Contains glycerin. 
  • Eucerin Original Moisturizing Lotion. Another of those boring medical treatments that works like a charm for many people. Hypoallergenic. 
  • Neutrogena Body Oil. Absorbs very well, contains sesame oil, and leaves your skin hydrated without becoming greasy. 

Any of these are well worth trying.

I use this tattoo cream for dry skin, which contains both shea butter and coconut oil. I know it's really meant for tattoos (and I don't have any, my mom does) but it's really good for dry skin as well. I used to use other things and they didn't work at all. Coconut oil and shea butter both have different skin benefits. Coconut oil protects you from the sun and hydrates while shea butter really helps hydrate you and smells really good. That's probably why the tattoo cream smells really good. It also feels amazing on your skin so why don't you try mixing them both up. Then you can get the benefits of both.

Have you ever tried olive oil? Works like magic for dry skin and is much easier finding everywhere.

She butter does not clog pores. Coconut oil can