Hiya,

Any other inked folks around here, or am I the only one? I figure more must be reading and might come out of the woodwork. I'm not heavily tattooed by any means yet but sure inching forward to a place where I can say that. Recently started getting better tattoos from better artists and that includes a lot of colour pieces. Now I wanna look after my investment and my skin the best I can of course! So yeah, basically. My artist is using thus Ink Booster thing. Was wondering what else is out there to look after the tattooed skin to keep your ink taken care of and well-hydrated and stuff like that.

Care to share, please???

I'm interested in this as well. I have used Tattoo Goo for healing tats and I know they make products for healed tats as well, but have never tried it myself. Really I'd love it if I could just buy that at the tattoo place or even at places like Sephora rather than ordering it off the internet though. But I want to keep my tats looking neat so of course I should look into this. For now though I do know to use an SPF to keep tats from being sun damaged, that is really very important. I've also read that over moisturizing the skin can cause the pigment to leech out which sounds weird because tats are in the dermis. Who knows though, so I follow the advice.

I'm just looking around now as it happens, and I found out that Coppertone sunscreens now have a special line for tattoos, called Tattoo Guard. It comes in two forms, both of which have SPF50 to keep your tattoos looking fresh. One is a stick for smaller tattoos, and another just a cream if you have a lot of tattoos or big ones. I haven't tried this myself obviously, having just discovered it, but will probably order it today. We're about to head off on vacation soon and I do want to keep my tattoos looking good.

If the American Academy of Dermatology is a reputable source for this, this will help you:

• Use water based lotions for hydration as petroleum jelly can fade the tattoo.
  • Use a sunscreen every day, stay out of the sun, and definitely don't use tanning beds.
  • See a dermatologist if something strange starts happening to your tattooed skin.

They also say not to get tattoos where you have moles, by the way. This is because tattoos can hide skin cancer signs. I do not have any tattoos so cannot speak from personal experience but perhaps that will help you in some way?

no offense but i'd not go to a dermatologist for tattoo issues first, but to the artist that did the tattoos. they're much more likely, living and breathing tattoos, to know what's going on. that advice isn't worth too much either. of course you have to keep tattoos hydrated and out of the sun, and every artist knows to avoid inking over moles as it can aggravate the cells and cause issues there. there's plenty of specialized tattoo creams out there now including forever ink balm, and tattoo brite. coconut oil also works well combined with shea butter. do keep perfumes off there.

Whoah, stuff went down here while I was away... easy, tigers! I do agree that on the whole tattooists know more about tattooed skin than medical doctors who aren't familiar with tattooed skin. Of course if something's off about my ink I go to my artist, but if I need a doctor I see a doctor. I'd not look at the recommendations of a dermatology organisation as primary advice, though.

Thanks for the recommendations to look into. So far: Tattoo Goo, Forever Ink, Tattoo Brite, and Tattoo Guard sunscreen. Cool, keep em coming people.

I have one small tattoo and I was told to use petroleum jelly for the aftercare period when I got it. Now, about 12 years on give or take, I have to comment that my tattoo faded somewhat and that I am wondering whether I should get it touched up. Now that I am reading this thread, I am curious if creams or lotions for tattoos could bring my tattoo back too life?

Admittedly I do not know much about this because I just have the one tattoo, but I would love to find out more.

For healing tattoos, there's so much out there and it's pretty much a matter of personal choice what you use with the exception of a few things, like antibiotic ointment, that you should just not use to avoid damaging your new tattoo. I like to use Dr Bronner's soap diluted with water myself for cleaning and for the cream, really any unfragranced cream will do such as Aveeno baby lotion or After Inked or even just a Lush product. As long as it is natural and unfragranced you are fine. For after that, well, sunscreen is the most important. Do not go tanning any more either.

Hello!

I have booked my first tattoo appointment a while ago and next Monday is #TheDay! Unlike some people I decided to go with a fairly large sized first tattoo and it will be on my back. Can you give me some experienced, been there done that tips for tattoo after care please? I have been reading a lot but more tips are always good. My boyfriend I think will need to help me with the washing because I cannot easily reach all those parts of my back.

So... clean every day, in the shower is fine, with non-perfumed soap, antibacterial, yes? Twice a day OK? And how much cream? And which cream is best? Some say vaseline some say vaseline draws the ink out. Some people talk about dry healing tattoos others say it is very bad.

Everyone says listen to your artist so I will but... insider tips will be welcome, including how much does it really hurt, what do you wish you knew before your first tattoo, and so on?

Thank you!