My chiro recommended pool running to strenghthen my hip area.

Should I run in place or try to make headway?

I may be wrong (so what else is new) but my understanding of pool running is that it is done in deep water with a floatation vest/belt. I thought you basically run like you would on the ground, but your feet never touch the bottom of the pool. I also think you can tether yourself to the side of the pool so you basically run in place. Sounds like lots of fun.

Good luck.

That is about it. Except maybe the fun part. If you don't do well on a treadmill I hear pool running will be very mentally challenging. If you need to do it for a while, bring a water bottle.

For some reason, the mental picture of drinking out of a water bottle while running in a pool full of water strikes me as funny!

I have used deep water running as a conditioning/strength/ endurance exercise for my group between the change over of seasons (road/cross country - track)
In principal it can be performed without a floation device but action would be uncontrolled and you would become dependant on swimming movements.
We use three techniques - step running, stride running and knee lift running.
Step running- resembles a running/cycling movement
Stride running- wide amplitude of movements with a forward swing of lower leg.
Knee lift- stresses lifting knees to the horizontal with an active downward thrust of the opposite leg.
I believe in water running it is important to mimic running as you would on land using normal arm swing, the correct running position with the upper body leaning slightly forward.
Its not easy if you haven't tried it before. You have to concentrate on your running action.
I suggest you go no longer than 20 mins. then gradually increase.

PS. Don't make quacking sounds. This encourages people to throw bread at you

I've been babying a bad knee/IT band issue and I've found water running to be the only thing that works for me.

I can't run 'unsuspended' in water for about 3 months while everything works out.

In any case, I was very surprised to see just how many people do this! This may sound nuts but I plan on doing water running about 3-5 times a week. I'm lucky there there are a few water running classes right by where I live. If you can find one by you, I'd highly recommend it. It's way less monotonous than doing it on your own. :D

In any case, the ones I've gone to are in deep water with a belt. The classes are about an hour long. One of the classes is more of an all body workout and focuses a lot on joint rotation and flexibility. the other has us running in circles (literally).

Either way, it doesn't feel like a good workout until that evening when I sleep like a baby :).

Oh, one more warning. If you're under 65, prepare to get your butt kicked by the 65 year olds who have been doing this for years. I thought I was in decent shape but I am seriously humbled!

Good luck!

M

I did it for a little while, when I was injuried many years back. I felt I had to really move faster to keep the same intensity. I liked that it was no impact and really felt strong. I got quite bored though .