There is a project called "open notes" that will give 35000 patients chance to see their doctors notes online. Also they will be able to see other medical records. There is a debate about should this be open to patients, because the medical jargon may confuse patients or they might worry unnecessarily about a precautionary test.
I'm interested if you would like to have online access to your medical chart? Do you thing that this can be a good or a bad thing?

I could probably make out most of it, but there are many people out there who would have no idea what is being charted.

If the doc posted the chart in laymans terms, i suppose that would work but i don't think he/she would take the time to break down the verbage so common folk could make it out.

Also, like you said, seeing an order for a precautionary test could really worry and upset a patient which would mean frantic phone calls to the docs office and/or after hours calls to the answering service insisting that the doc call them back, just to answer a question.
I say, if the patient is concerned with anything, it should be discussed at the time of the office visit, not read on line.

Well I agree with you in most cases, man people have no idea what is written in the carts. And I think the result of this trial online chart will be just a little chaotic. People will call their doctors all the time, asking questions about what is written inside.
But what do you think if this way maybe more people will be aware of medical things? Maybe they can increase their knowledge?!

I think people should be allowed to view their personal medical charts online.
I've went through some major health issues over the last 7-8 yrs and on many occasions I've had to request my medical records. You would not believe all of the mistakes that have been made in these medical charts!
Some are simple mistakes such as my past medical history that I filled out on "new patient" forms. Others are more serious and have caused me concern.
I feel like if people find mistakes when having medical records transfered to another doctor they can tell the new doctor instead of letting the mistake go unnoticed. Therefor they may recieve a better diagnosis.
If patients do not understand what is on their medical charts that gives them a good reason to ask their doctor to explain the details so they do understand. It's there health and while there are many excellent doctors out there, there are also some that pass patients through like an assembly line.
The other reason I feel this would be great is how many times have you had to pay for your medical records? Wouldn't one think that the doctor's fee is enough and your medical records should be available to you free?

I have to agree with you Kari on this points. The mistakes are there, and they do slip through your charts when going to another doctor. This way when patient warns a doctors about this, he can raise awareness of the doctor not to make the same mistake again.
But don't you think that in many cases patient could panic over nothing if he finds something that he does not understand in his chart or interprets it in a wrong way?

I just want to add this comment on a new study where patients are not been notified about their abnormal test results. It is interesting that I found this story, because we are just discussing about online medical charts.
The study says that primary care clinicians and their staff appear to fail to inform the patients about their test results, or they forget to document informing patients.
So this is an plus to online medical charts. :-)

This is one of the things I was refering to when I said there have been some serious doctors notes that are missing from my medical chart but did not make myself clear.
Amazing how the test results state one thing and the doctor's notes state something different.
I am not schooled in medicine but I can figure out when the report says something is amiss. Maybe because I've been through so much in the last 7-8 yrs trying to figure out exactly what is wrong with me.
Comment on a prior post...do I think patients would get paranoid if they do not understand their medical reports? Maybe so but then they could promote questions to the doctor that the doctor should have answered in the first place.

With 7-8 years trying to find out what is wrong with you, you have gathered a lot of knowledge about medicine. And when dealing with something, people usually try to learn as much as they can about that particular thing.
My opinion is that people will learn a lot more about medicine if they have a chance (and if they really want to know). The open notes project is giving that chance to people. It would be good that results of this project are positive. It would be even easier to find a second opinion from another doctor.
Do you think that this would change patient doctor relationship?

I agree completely that doctor notes should be opened to patient at any time. And having the chance of seeing them online would make things a lot easier. It would help reduce the errors in notes and would make doctor patient relationship better. I think it would make doctors talk to patients in much easier way. And patient would always be able tho ask for second opinion from another doctor if needed. But only one thing concerns me is misuse of this. Would people misuse this thing?

Hmm you made a interesting statement. Some people might misuse this in a way just to find mistakes and sue doctors. And I don't mean for big mistakes but for little things. But also on the other hand this would make doctors more cautious how they fill the notes.
I don't know any other way of misusing this? Does anybody else?

A doctor has to make a fairly huge mistake in order for a malpractice suit to be filed against them. At least that is the way it is Indiana, and I think, not sure, it is a federal law. I spoke to a lawyer about some unethical things my surgeon had done. The lawyer told me it was almost impossible to file suits against doctors anymore.
Also, if I remember correctly Obama is also trying to make it even harder for people to file malpractice suits againt physicians with a new bill in his health care reform.
Anyone please correct me if I am wrong..
Thanks!