Hello there! My best friend is diagnosed with hodgkinsons disease. I have just received the message. Is there anybody who can tell me more about this disease. What is it? How dangerous is it? Please, all info is more than welcome!!!! Thank you!

I am very sorry to hear about your friend. But I am afraid that this condition is quite serious. Hodgkin's disease is a cancer that starts in lymphatic tissue. As lymphatic tissue is present in many parts of the body, Hodgkin's disease can start almost anywhere, but most often starts in lymph nodes in the upper part of the body. Hodgkin's disease enlarges the lymphatic tissue, which can then cause pressure on important structures. It can spread through the lymphatic vessels to other lymph nodes. It rarely gets into the blood vessels and can spread to almost any other site in the body, including the liver and lungs. Hodgkin's disease is a malignant lymphoma. There are two kinds of lymphomas: Hodgkin's disease and non-Hodgkin's lymphomas. The cancer cells in Hodgkin's disease are called Reed-Sternberg cells, after the two doctors who first described them in detail. Under a microscope they look different from cells of non-Hodgkin's lymphomas and other cancers. All types of Hodgkin's disease are malignant because as they grow, they may compress, invade, destroy normal tissue and spread to other tissues. There is no benign form of Hodgkin's disease.

hi there im sorry to hear about yr friend itsvery serious but depands on which one you got the non hodgkins is the more serios one to have i had hogkins lympha 2004 started chemo for about a year the cancer is at the small stage they were just doing regular scans to see if it got bigger which it havent but in march this year found a shadow on lung which turned out to be tb which im being treated for it having hodgkins theres chances you can catch tb as you have very low system you cant fight off infections if any one wants know anything about hodkins plz send me im and i answer any questions simon

So sorry to hear about your friend. The best advice to give is make sure you give her all the love in the world. My twin sister was diagnosed with hodgkins disease in October 2005 and we were told by very good doctors that she could be treated. In August 2006 if overnight her condition turned into non hodgkins disease and was told she had a matter of days. She passed away 3 days after that. Please dont end up in the same situation as me - totally devasted.. Get as much information from the doctors as you can and make sure you know how advanced the disease is. We feel cheated and lied to by very qualified doctors. Dont let this happen to you.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend I'm not sure how serious or dangerous this cancer is or anything about it actually but my mother had it a while back and she is now living a happy healthy life with 4 children :)

I'm sorry to hear about your friend, i am afraid i don't know how serious or dangerous this disease is or anything about it at all but my mum had this but she is now living a happy and healthy life with 4 children! :)