Here's another one for skincare junkies. I heard this the other day — facial waxing causes wrinkles in the long run. This is just a general interest thing for me since I no longer have my face waxed anywhere, but I was curious to see if there's any science behind the claim that waxing induces wrinkles prematurely or its just, you know, an old wives' tale of something. What say you? Do you know anything about whether there's evidence that waxing leads to wrinkles, or do you think your own waxing caused wrinkles, or have you been waxing for ages and are still wrinkle free?

I heard that too and was worried about it for a while. I actually asked the lady who waxes my lips and brows about this.

What she said is no, waxing does not cause any wrinkles. That is because a good beautician will hold your skin completely straight while they are waxing, but only for a short amount of time. Waxing is over within less than a minute. And you don't get waxed every day, which actually might cause problems if you did that, but only once every few weeks.

In short, I think this theory is bunk and people who have regular waxing don't need to worry. I am 35, 36 soon, and I don't have weird wrinkles around the areas where I get waxed.

Nope. It's collagen break down that causes wrinkles, not waxing. Of course if waxing is done improperly, it can indeed cause you to burn your skin which certainly isn't pretty and can lead to additional loss of elasticity in a big way. I imagine THAT could cause the appearance of wrinkles around the site. But waxing done properly? No, you don't get wrinkles sooner and I can't even see how that could make any logical sense at all. I've been getting waxed for at least 15 years and my face and legs look fine, thanks very much!

There is no evidence whatsoever that waxing leads to wrinkles. That is really the extent of what can be said about this. I also don't need waxing on my face, but I have been getting my legs waxed for ages and ages, and should the theory that waxing causes wrinkles be true for the legs as well then?? My legs look great and smooth after waxing just like they did when I was 20. I have the feeling that if this had been proven, people would know about it and nobody would be getting waxed any more.

I readily admit that I know nothing about this but wanted to post anyway, so I went ahead and looked it up. I saw both sides of the deal being discussed. I discovered that there is no evidence either way, but still there is a compelling argument in favor of the idea that if you stretch the skin out often enough, as happens with waxing, then you are going to contribute to lines and wrinkles. Waxing also removes several layers of the skin. Could this make it contribute to wrinkles? Maybe. My conclusion is that the jury is still out on whether waxing causes wrinkles or not.

I've been getting my eyebrows waxed since I was 17 and I turned 30 this year. I do have beginning lines (can't call them wrinkles yet) on my forehead and around my eyes, the crow's feet, but that is of course totally normal. I haven't seen any weird reactions from waxing at all, ever, and I think if waxing led to wrinkles in weird places, I would have noticed by now. Yes, if you keep on having your eyebrows waxed of course you will get wrinkles. That's correlation, folks, not causation. Age will do that to you.

Celebrity

That's news to me. Like, that's something I have never, ever heard in my entire life. I am quite positive that is this theory held any water, it would be much more common knowledge that it appears to be. I am curious where you heard this, Londongirl, and if any evidence was offered. I am not particularly a fan of facial waxing because I know it can have bad effects like pimples, stinging, irritation and swelling but I have never heard that it may also lead to premature wrinkles. I call nonsense on this one. 

Rosie