Celebrity

Hey,

I've heard about facial exercises that are meant to reduce wrinkles and increase firmness. I am quite interested in this, but I imagine that if it truly works, doing it wrong could in fact increase wrinkles. As I age, I often find myself waking up with a fold line on the left side, which is the side I sleep on. I am worried that it will become permanent and I can see facial exercises done wrong causing a similar effect.

Does anyone want to talk me through performing facial exercise? I'm interested in timing and the amount of repetitions that need to be done, as well as in how long it would take before results are visible. 

Rosie

Keep this in mind before you try facial exercises of any kind:

• Wrinkles are the result of repetitive actions performed by muscles, actions of exactly the same kind you'd engage in if you did facial exercise. They aren't caused by under-exercising your facial muscles. Your facial muscles get plenty of action.
  • Facial exercises do not change the underlying cellular structure of your skin. 
  • Doing facial exercises does not make your face any slimmer. 

Considering all that, I would personally avoid facial exercises. If you are worried about wrinkles, laser treatments or chemical peels are the way to go. They will give you fast results, too.

Celebrity
Not ignoring you, just saying, I just need to do some more research. Thanks for your reply.

Rosie

This is also called "facial yoga" yeah, and though I can't say there's any scientific evidence behind the whole thing 'cause from what I've read doctors contradict each other all the time about this topic and no studies are ever quoted, well, there's ladies who say it did their faces the world of good. Can't really discount that can you? My thought's that you really don't wanna do this unless you already have visible wrinkles to reduce. Otherwise yeah, you can't know if you are doing your skin good or harm. My tip for you is to Google facial yoga instead of facial exercise and see what you can come up with. 

I do facial exercises and they have helped me. I do them 20 minutes a day except for Sunday, a series of facial workouts targeting different muscles. It took me around two months to begin noticing a difference and now about a year, I honestly look a lot younger. Other people say so too, so it isn't just in the mind :). I would like to explain how to do these exercises, but this is very hard: you really need to see how they are done to know for sure that you are doing them correctly. As such, I direct you to YouTube. There are quite a few videos there in which people explain how to perform various facial exercises.

Honestly, I saw results within two weeks. It was after two months that I kept thinking to myself — wow, I look so much better than before, so much less tired, and also younger. People started asking me what I had done to my face, because I looked so good! I know some people don't like facial exercises but they worked wonders for me, and no matter what anyone else says, I know they are responsible for making me look as good as I do now. You do need a little bit of patience, but just a little. You'll start seeing a difference very quickly, if you are anything like me.

OK, since I have noticed that actual descriptions of facial exercises are lacking on this thread, I'll try to contribute some.

1. Raise your eyebrows as high as possible, to a "surprised" expression, and keep them that way for five seconds. Repeat 20 times.
2. Using all the fingers except your thumb and pinky, press onto your cheekbone and smile as widely as possible. Do both sides at once or one side at the time, whatever you prefer. Repeat 20 times for each side.
3. Open your mouth widely and stick your tongue out. Hold for five seconds, repeat 20 times.
4. Open your mouth widely and make an "O" shape, then move into a smile. Repeat 10 times.

There are others, but these are the facial exercises I have been doing. It feels a little silly, but if it helps, right?