Celebrity

Hey,

With summer coming up and me wanting to go to the pool regularly, I found myself thinking about something lots of women do all the time but that I have never, ever had done before: a Brazilian wax. I have had my eyebrows and upper lip waxed before, and that is it! 

My question is what I absolutely need to know before getting a Brazilian wax. Will it hurt lots? Is it awkward? Is there inflammation afterwards? If so, how can I prevent that? How long does the waxing take? What are the dos and don'ts I need to be aware of?

Basically, please share your advice and tips with a first time bikini waxer!

Thanks!

Rosie

Something very important you should know before getting a Brazilian wax is that you can't shave for at least five days prior to your waxing. You can't be waxed if enough hair isn't present, after all! For all subsequent waxings, the same story goes: you gotta let some hair grow to be able to get waxed. This is the biggest downside to waxing for me. On the other hand, you are hair free for a long time in return. No, it doesn't hurt as much as you think it will but yes, you are completely exposed. Your aesthetician is used to that though! Oh.. something else to know is that you actually can't have sex the day you get waxed because your follicles need time to close up again.

Are you sure you want the full Brazilian as opposed to just a bikini wax? Figure that out first. A Brazilian literally takes everything off. You know that, right? My best tip is to make sure not just that you don't get waxed when you're on your period (obviously!) but also not in the week prior. Mid-month is best, not just because getting waxed when you may be starting your period is just disgusting, but also because the skin tends to be more sensitive so the waxing process will hurt you more. Another thing you need to know is that your pro will tweeze those leftover hairs, which may hurt more than the actual waxing.

The most important thing you need to do is pick a reputable spa or salon at which you will get your waxing. Make sure they are licensed and check out their practices. Look for a salon that has clients answer questions on paper about allergy and medical history, at which the aesthetician wears gloves, disposable sheets are used, the wax sticks are never dipped in twice, and the aesthetician has been waxing for a long time. They should always be happy to answer all your questions about the salon and about how to prepare. If they act weird around too many questions, they have something to hide.

Once you have picked a good salon, all the rest will be explained to you!

Celebrity

Thanks, everyone! Those are all awesome tips! I would never have thought about taking my cycle into account when it comes to deciding when to get waxed. Not getting waxed on your period seems very obvious, but not even that had occurred to me when I opened this topic. 

All the other tips are really very useful. I have to say that I am feeling very self conscious about letting someone come that up close and personal to inflict pain on my intimate parts! Please tell me it really is normal for those who do this every day! I can't image doing that, myself!

I'm still a bit nervous but would really like to try it out.

Rosie

Oh, don't be too scared! I personally never get Brazilian waxes or any other kind of waxes but the lady who does my nails does Brazilian waxes as well and I have asked her what it is like. For some, to me unknown, reason she says that waxing is actually her favorite activity at work! So I would not worry about that much. When you see something like that day in, day out, it isn't weird any longer, but you just want to do a professional job and leave your customer satisfied. She doesn't care whether she is doing nails or waxing, except people who get their nails done may have all sorts of requests (me!) but Brazilian waxing is just a matter of, take the hair off, you know?

I'll be the voice of dissent, then. I recently read an article about someone who got a sexually transmitted disease from a Brazilian wax, due to hygiene issues. I know it doesn't have to end up like that, but it can. Shaving every few days may be annoying, but it's not just cheaper but also more hygienic. Besides, it means that other people do not have to look at your privates, which would be a real issue for me personally. Also, you do not have to grow your hair out before getting rid of it again, another plus.

I just got my first Brazilian three days ago!

I had really worked myself up beforehand, thinking it was going to be awfully painful, and even taking an OTC pain killer before heading to the, very good, salon to get it done. Well, gals, guess what? It was painful, not gonna lie there, but the Brazilian was not nowhere near as bad as I had talked myself into believing in advance. The girl who did it was very professional as well. It was over before I knew it and though there was very minor inflammation afterwards that was gone in no time as well. I'm really happy with the results and for sure pool ready now.

Don't sweat it, gals! Brazilian waxes are not so bad!