I am dark haired and have a fairly noticeable female mustache on my upper lip area. Because I have heard that shaving simply makes the hairs come in thicker, I get them waxed. I have done so for about two years now, since my hairs started getting darker and more noticeable.

It looks fine after a day or two, but I have pimples that are red and very obvious every time right after waxing. They last the whole day at least.

Is there any way to avoid getting these pimples after having your upper lip waxed? If so, that would be a life saver!

The same rules that apply to avoiding pimples and irritation after any kind of waxing apply to upper lip waxing:

• It's both bacterial entry into the follicles and general inflammation that causes these pimples. 
  • Gently exfoliate your skin the day before waxing.
  • Make sure you attend a reputable salon where wax sticks aren't reused and an already used stick is never dipped into a big pot of wax twice. 
  • Use witch hazel as an anti-inflammatory agent right after waxing.
  • Apply hydrocortisone cream if you do start noticing pimples. 

In addition, some people like to take some ibuprofen prior to getting waxed. 

Another tip is to put baby powder on your upper lip before you go get waxed. This baby powder makes it easier for the wax to take the hairs out. It also actually provides a barrier of sorts between your skin and the wax strips. Skin irritation is much less likely if you do this. It works for me. Yes, exfoliating is of course another must and no waxing without trusting your salon at all, that goes without saying. I have never used anything more than regular moisturizer after, because I do not need it as long as I apply the baby powder.

Wow, I have to say that this thread has been very informative for me, particularly because of this above tips. I ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS get pimples, or whatever you call them (sometimes even filled with full-on puss, yuck) after waxing and had more or less accepted it as something that must happen, a necessary evil. I don't use witch hazel now and will try that, but I'm really, really liking this baby powder tip. It makes sense, it's for babies so it's definitely not something to cause irritation, and I just like it. Thanks.

Dissenter here, LOL. Yeah, there's stuff you can do to avoid pimples, swelling, redness, itching, all that nasty stuff, after waxing. However, if you do all that stuff, like ice packs, witch hazel, aspirin masks, whatever, and you still get the pimples and swelling, why not look into shaving? What do you care that the hairs will come back thicker? You are just gonna be shaving anyways and not let them grow out so well, that's what I'd do and also what I actually do. I haven't found that shaving has caused by to like grow a full beard or anything, so I don't really understand why people are so afraid of shaving their upper lip...

I didn't use anything after having my upper lip waxed before, but then I changed salons after moving house and suddenly I found that I got pimples every time after waxing. I thought there was something wrong with the salon so I went to a different one, and still the same thing happened! So I figured maybe it was the difference in climate that was responsible? I use vaseline on the area now. I think it just hydrates the area without sinking into the skin so no clogged pores. It seems to be working so far.