I've got dark hair and that goes for the hair on my face too. I'm only 34 and yet... I think I could almost grow a mustache if I wanted to. I get my hair waxed professionally, and it is really necessity more than want, but I would love to learn to do it at home. 

I know there are several techniques. Can you give me tips on the best lip waxing methods at home, something that is fairly fool proof? I don't want to shave because I know the hairs will only come back with a vengeance, but sugaring, proper waxing, any tips are appreciated. 

Here's a recipe I found (using American measures, which can actually be pretty useful for Europeans too if they don't have good kitchen scales!). Combine:

• 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Cook over medium heat until you get a thick paste. Then... you remove it from heat, cleanse your face whilst waiting, dust your face with a little loose powder, and apply with a waxing stick. Right afterwards, press a strip of cotton right onto your upper lip area over the sugar mix. You gotta wait about one minute then pull it off like you would a plaster. This works pretty well and is cheap as well so I'd say give it a go...

I would not personally do that. I mean, I have tried waxing my upper lip at home before, with those wax strips and with hot wax (a friend helped me), and it was either very messy or didn't achieve the results I was hoping for, depending on the method used. I would either go for bleaching your upper lip if your hairs are quite fine, or having them waxed at a salon by a trained professional who will have your waxing done in no time with the smooth and beautiful results you are obviously hoping for. They really do know how to do their stuff better than we do. 

Celebrity

I don't do this myself, but if I would, I would choose a microwave wax formula, ready made, precisely because I don't have experience with waxing my lips at home and I would be anxious about having to make the wax from scratch as well, because I would already be anxious about doing the waxing!

You also need things like spatulas, muslin strips and cotton balls. I think it is a matter of look it up on the web and follow instructions in theory, but practice is likely to be a whole lot messier and you may not get the desired results at all. As in, you could break out and still have hair left!

If you are adventurous though, go for it and don't forget to let us know how you got on!

Rosie

Yes, I have done that before! You just buy the wax, melt it in a little saucepan in a container inside some water, spread it over your lip with a spatula and stick some cloth over that before it dries out. Then just rip it off like a band aid. And voila, you are done!

Maybe you need to moisturize or something before you do the waxing. It has been a while so I don't exactly remember. I do remember that it was not difficult to do though. No need to be scared of this.

If you are intimidated by waxing your upper lip at home but want to do it anyway, I would strongly suggest that you look intro lip waxing strips. Some brands that you may want to try are:

• Veet Facial Hair Remover Cold Wax Strips: Easy to use! Cheap! All round awesome!

• Nad’s Hypoallergenic Facial Wax Strips; For people with sensitive skin. 

• Bliss Poetic Waxing Wax Strips for Face: Expensive but probably some of the best on the market. 

These pretty much speak for themselves in terms of what they do, which is remove your upper lip hairs without expertise or hassle. I think you will get on fine with any of them.