Hi

Threading — love the results, don't love the process. What else can I say? Well yes, I would like it to not hurt so much!!! 

Experienced threading customers, what are your tips to ease pain while having your eyebrows threaded? The lady that threads my brows puts some cooling gel on my skin after she's done. This is supposed to minimize inflammation and prevent spots. But is there anything I can do before the threading starts to numb the pain a little? 

Tips below, and all that. Anything that has helped you, not matter how odd, please share it!

1. Splash warm water on your eyebrows right before you have your treatment. This will open your follicles up and make it easier for the hairs to come out, resulting in less pain.

2. If your beautician asks you if she should put a cooling gel, typically aloe, on your eyebrows after threading, say yes.

3. If it still hurts after you get home, wash your hands and then place an ice cube on the area until it starts melting. You get those plastic covered ice cubes which don't drip and you can wash them in the dish washer to make sure they are totally clean.

4. Never done this myself but I have heard about topical painkillers you can apply as a cream. You could ask your beautician about this if you are interested.

Thanks!

The lady who threaded my eyebrows didn't offer me any ointment or cream afterward. Perhaps I can buy this myself? What do I look for? Something with aloe vera in it?

The idea of splashing hot water on the brows, that makes all the sense in the world. I know that cold water closes off pores, so it would be logical that warm water would do the opposite. Perhaps it will help with the pain. I will try! The ice cube plan also sounds like a good one.

I have never used pain relief creams. Might ask about that at the pharmacy.

Hahahahaha... concentrate on the end result, not the pain? So when you are about to get threaded, ask your cosmetologist to turn up the music, close your eyes, and think "I'll look beautiful, I'll have great looking eyebrows, I'm gonna buy some new eyeshadow to make my new eyebrows really come out". It will be over before you know it. After a while, you'll just get used to the pain and it will not be bothering you any more. It's just one of those things you have to get used to really. And trust me, you will. Good luck!

That sounds about right, LOL. Get this, yeah, I got waxed a few times, and I do mean a few times, like perhaps up to four. I had half my eyebrows removed and... THEY NEVER CAME BACK. So the dubious "pleasure" of threading is one I'm not going to be experiencing. I caved, didn't I, after thinking it was a really bad idea, and started using castor oil on my brows. Like five new hairs have grown since then, it's been a few weeks. I'd give anything to have bushy brows again right now!

But more on topic, yeah, waxing hurt and it also made my skin pretty inflamed afterwards. I guess threading is pretty much the same though some people say it's a bit gentler on the skin? But takes a lot longer I suppose? I mean waxing is pretty much done with two "rips" of that piece of paper. I'd not hesitate to take an ibuprofen or a paracetamol before getting something like that done. That's what I always do before I get tattooed, LOL, and it seems to work like a charm.