Hi. I`m 37 yo M and recently was diagnosed with lupus. I know that this disease affects my immune system and that there is no part of my body that cannot be affected. However, my vision is disturbed and I wonder does lupus cause a blurred vision? I also have terrible headaches. I was prescribed with antimalarial drug Aralen and think that maybe some other drug could do me better.

Hi. You probably know that there is no cure for lupus, but you have effective treatments. Most of the symptoms are from inflammation and so the treatment is focused on reducing the swelling. I`ve never heard that lupus can cause you a blurred vision, but I know antimalarial drugs can. Side effects of antimalarial drugs, such as Plaquenil and Aralen, include nausea, diarrhea, headache, dizziness, itching and blurred vision.

Hello sides,

lupus  can, in theory, affect all internal organs, skin and bones, but usually, the symptoms are focused on the bones, joints and skin. However, it makes sense in this situation to check for the possible link between blurry vision and lupus, but only after you get off the anti malarial medications. As poster before me said, they are known to cause some problems with vision, including blurriness.

Still, I don't know if you had your vision checked before, but headaches, together with blurry vision might be a sign that your eyes are strained to much. It's a fairly eyes to test this and symptoms like headache and blurred vision usually quickly go away once you get the proper glasses that fix the problem. Wish you all the best!

I have Lupis and I find that when they decress my medication my eye sight goes blurry. I am having a issue now and they have been decreasing my medication for 2 months now. It gets worse every week and I am told that it cannot be because of the Lupis and my Dr thinks I am nuts, but it does get bad enough that it is scary to drive. Have had my eyes tested changed glasses ect. Nothing seems to help.