Hi, I am 53 years old female and I have heart problems in last few years. I am taking my medications regularly but I constantly have swelling on my ankles. No mater what I have tried I didn't make to get rid of it. I would like to know what may cause swollen ankles and if someone may suggest me what to do.

Hi, swollen ankles may be cause by heart failure when heart is unable to pump enough blood and blood which stays in lower parts of body cause swelling. On the other side, as you have told that you are taking your medications regularly, some medications like calcium channels blockers may cause swollen ankles. It is because these medications are relaxing muscles of blood vessels in order to lower blood pressure and allow great quantity of blood to stay in lower parts of body and cause swelling.