After having my left hip replaced 5 months ago, I continued to have pain and stiffness in my hip and back and have experienced an increased number of visible cluster of spider veins that I didn't have before surgery. When I walk the pain and stiffness increases to the point that I just want to go to bed afterwards. The pain is very intense in the mid-thigh area as well as in one of the clusters of spider veins in my lower leg. It's very frustrating as I am unable to take any pain medication other than a single aspirin each day. I've seen discussions about mid-thigh pain but haven't seen anything about the onset of painful clusters of spider veins. I spoke with my orthopedic surgeon about it during my post surgical check up but he wouldn't address it --- just said it might be bursitis. Well, it's not gone away and I'm not sure even where to start . . . do I go back to my original orthopedic surgeon or my family physician? Do I find another type of specialist? If so, what specialy? Neurology, rheumatology, phlebotomy. I'm at a loss -- any guidance would be helpful.

I am a 48yr old female who had a right total hip replacement six months ago.  I am still in pain, and I think the pain is actually worse than before.  I have hip dysplasia, and I thought the hip replacement would alleviate my pain.  It's still painful to walk, I too have pain running down my thigh - my pain (now noticable in both legs) feels more like an arthritic pain, and my lower back is also affected - at first I thought it was because of the slight difference in leg length (my operative leg is 1/4" longer) - I have worn a shoe lift on the other side, but the pain is still noticable.  I too am not sure if I need to see a rhumatolist, another ortho specialist, or what!  I am so annoyed!  I know several people who have gone through a hip replacement and felt 100% better in just a couple of months.  No amount of stretching, walking, swimming, massaging helps.  My femur was cracked at the time of the hip replacement, but was wired together and the doc said it has healed just fine - the xrays say nothing is wrong, but the xrays don't show the pain!