My daughter is 10 years old and is a pitcher for  fast pitch softball. She has alot of pain in her shoulder blade. I have Iced it and put muscle ointments on her. The pain hasn't gone a way and she tried pitiching again still had pain and the pain started going down her arm??? Any suggestions... I will take her to the doctor but I'm sure they wont have any expert sports injury advise.... She is doing mild stretching, ICE and is of course resting her arm from pitching.... Any softball pitching coaches out there with good advise will be very much appreciated

Hi Softball,

Skip the coaches.  You need to get her to a sports physican or orthpedic specialist for an evaluation.  Until then just rest the arm.

She's 10.  Fast pitch can put a lot of stress on her shoulder, the muscles, and ligaments.  As she enters puberty her growth will increase and there can be some issues with that.  

Repeated damage can cause long term and even permanent injuries to the shoulder including arthritis.

I realize that she probably wants to pitch but until she's evaluated she should not even attempt it.  

You can expect an X-ray or ultrasound during the office visit along with an evaluation of range of motion, and a comparision of the shoulder blades in relation to each other.  An MRI or CAT scan may also be ordered for further investigation.

Good luck.

What ended up being wrong? Can she pitch now?