I am 60 years old. I have problems with my mouth. They are extremely dry. I am use to it so I didn’t pay much attention on it, but few days ago I went to my dentist and he has noticed that something is wrong. He says that my tongue is eaten like it was in acid, also dental caries in my mouth is unusually increased. He told me that I probably have dry mouth syndrome. Can you tell me what could cause that?

There are many different factors which can influence and cause dry mouth syndrome, also known as xerostomia. You didn’t tell me do you have any condition which can be related with dry mouth. Maybe it is caused by chemotherapy or radiation treatments, also it can be caused by some medications like beta-blockers, diuretics, antihistamines, heart medications, some pain killers etc. One of major causes is sjogren's disease. It is autoimmune disease that affects your salivary glands and can cause mouth dryness.