Hi, a friend of mine has a medical problem. She is forty five and before this nothing serious was affecting her. Some time ago she started feeling strange. Apparently her mouth was very dry. This caused problems to her tongue. Doctor told her that she has Sjogren's syndrome. What can you tell me about Sjogren's syndrome tongue problems?

Hi, Sjogren's syndrome is an autoimmune disease. This means that our immune system is recognizing some of the body's tissue as an enemy. It produces antibodies to fight it. As a result, inflammation occurs. When one has Sjogren's syndrome, the moisture producing glands are the ones that are recognized as a threat. Since these glands are also located in the mouth, it is not unusual for oral problems to appear. This of course includes tongue. It, like the rest of the mouth, becomes dry which can lead to more serious conditions. This condition, when affects tongue, can cause loss of sense of taste, difficulties speaking, burning and cracking of the tongue. Judging from what you have told me, I suspect that your friend has a primary Sjogren's syndrome. This means that it is a disease on its own. Your friend made a right decision to ask for help from a medical expert. He will certainly help her with her tongue problem that Sjogren's syndrome caused.