Hi, I have a question to ask you. Some time ago I was diagnosed with Sjogren's syndrome. It caused the dry eyes symptom. The doctor prescribed some medications and eye drops. But now I have a new problem. I have a dry vagina. I am embarrassed to go to the doctor and complain about this condition. Can you tell me if dry vagina comes as a result of Sjogren's syndrome?

Hi, Sjogren's syndrome is an autoimmune disease which means that it is produced by our own immune system. It recognizes some tissue of our body as a threat and creates antibodies to fight it. This produces inflammation. Sjogren's syndrome affects moisture producing glands. As a result, symptoms like dry eyes and dry mouth occur. Beside these two symptoms, some other may appear regarding the location of the influenced moisture gland. The lack of mucus also causes the dryness of the vagina. This can produce some infections like vaginitis and pain during sexual intercourse. Therefore, I am sure that the problem that you have comes from the Sjogren's syndrome. There is nothing to be ashamed of. You should talk to your doctor about this problem so that he can prescribe you some vaginal lubricants.