Hi, few days ago I started having some medical problems. My mouth is very dry. It makes me drink a lot of water but it does not help much. Someone at work told me that I might have sjogren's syndrome. I am planning on visiting a doctor, but until I do, can you tell me what tests are performed for sjogren's syndrome?

Hi, your colleague may be right. The symptom that you have described (very dry mouth) consists with Sjogren's syndrome. It is an autoimmune disease which means that our immune system is producing it. What happens is that the immune system mistakenly sees some body tissue as a foreigner and starts acting against it. It produces antibodies that attack the tissue. The affected tissues in Sjogren's syndrome are moisture producing glands. Tests that are performed so that the diagnosis of Sjogren's syndrome can be made, will, in your case, include test of saliva producing glands. These are located in the mouth. The test will show whether the glands are swollen or hard. Also, radiological nuclear medicine salivary scans will illustrate if there is an inflammation of the saliva glands present. There is nothing to be afraid of. It is important that you see a doctor as soon as possible.