Hi, I am a forty seven years old woman. In my life I have never experienced any serious medical conditions. Some time ago my mouth started being very dry. I also had gums problems. Naturally, I went to see a doctor. After some tests, the diagnosis was sjogren's syndrome. It occurred as a result of gingivitis. I am to see my doctor again to discuss the possibilities of sjogren's syndrome dental treatment. What should I expect?

Hi, you belong to the group of people that are susceptible to Sjogren's syndrome since it mostly occurs in women from the age of forty. This is an autoimmune disease which means that immune system is causing it. It sometimes, mistakenly, sees part of the body as a threat and acts against it. As a result, inflammation occurs. Sjogren's syndrome affects moisture producing glands. This condition can be an illness for itself-primary Sjogren's, but can also appear as a follower of other conditions-secondary Sjogren's, like it is the case with you. There is no cure for Sjogren's syndrome. The treatment consists of acting against the symptoms. As for the dental treatment regarding the gingivitis, the doctor will probably clean your teeth. You should also use antiseptic mouth rinse. Anyway, you should not worry too much, since this is a standard procedure.